What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Completed I need a 2020 treat build

Lysrin

I like the new AMD heatsink fans, simple but nice design.

Yeah I agree. I thought they were great looking stock coolers when I built those two systems last Christmas. The 2700X system had the RGB one but that niece's PC case had no side window! I almost bought her a new case just so I didn't have to cover up the purty!!

sswilson

Staff member
Use the 1USMUS program to overclock/undervolt it. You'll probably see a huge improvement in both temps and clocks even if you 'downvolt' it to 1.1

Will do once I get everything sorted out.

Initial install.jpg

Colourful little bugger even without RGB software installed. The wraith looks like it's got at least 2 if not 3 unique colour zones.

lowfat

Staff member
Use the 1USMUS program to overclock/undervolt it. You'll probably see a huge improvement in both temps and clocks even if you 'downvolt' it to 1.1
His board should already have the frequency curve editor available that is part of Precision Boost Overdrive 2. IMO it makes the 1usmus app outdated.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
His board should already have the frequency curve editor available that is part of Precision Boost Overdrive 2. IMO it makes the 1usmus app outdated.
Does it stress test and adjust frequencies like 1USMUS app? I havnt kept up to date on the change since I'm on Zen 3 now, and waiting for Asus to non-beta the feature.

JD

Staff member
I'm going with NVMe and Sata SSD so I'm assuming I can just go with a full UEFI without bothering with leaving legacy enabled. What about secure boot? Does anybody outside of a corporate environment bother enabling that?
I use SecureBoot personally, no ill effects, mostly just means you can't boot unsigned Linux ISO's or such. The major distributions should be fine though, it would just be those random "troubleshooting" USB type distros and such. You can always flip it off when you need to use those.

On this MSI board at least, having a SATA drive connected shows up as drive 0 to Windows, so if you're wanting Windows fully on the NVMe, I'd leave it disconnected to be safe. Sometimes Windows will put the bootloader on drive 0 instead.

sswilson

Staff member
I use SecureBoot personally, no ill effects, mostly just means you can't boot unsigned Linux ISO's or such. The major distributions should be fine though, it would just be those random "troubleshooting" USB type distros and such. You can always flip it off when you need to use those.

On this MSI board at least, having a SATA drive connected shows up as drive 0 to Windows, so if you're wanting Windows fully on the NVMe, I'd leave it disconnected to be safe. Sometimes Windows will put the bootloader on drive 0 instead.

Ah, maybe that's the issue I've run into previously. I'm just finishing up the initial install with just the NVMe in and will hook the Sata SSD up shortly to transfer Onedrive/Downloads/Documents/Pictures over to that.

lowfat

Staff member
Does it stress test and adjust frequencies like 1USMUS app? I havnt kept up to date on the change since I'm on Zen 3 now, and waiting for Asus to non-beta the feature.

No. But you'll not lose your high single core boost and you'll be able to set lower voltage for multi-core.

sswilson

Staff member
No. But you'll not lose your high single core boost and you'll be able to set lower voltage for multi-core.

So maybe play with the program first and then manually enter the settings into bios? (I'm assuming this is the bios settings I've only glanced at as opposed to part of the AMD software package? ).

sswilson

Staff member

Dayum!!!!!!

Marginal improvements to the GFX scores over the 2500K, but pretty happy with that out of the box cpu score! :)

edit: Looking at that quickly I'm guessing I had the "overclock memory" selection in the AMD software as opposed to "overclock GPU" which is what I've got on this one. That could be the slight bump in FPS on the GFX scores.

Either way, pretty happy with the outcome and I haven't even started looking at the CPU.

Latest posts