What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Completed I need a 2020 treat build

Bond007

Yeah, looks like the special sauce in this case is setting PBO levels (I'm sure it's called something different by each manufacturer) as opposed to just turning PBO on and leaving it to auto. Just did a full run on the highest pre-mixed selectable level (4 in this case) and it appears to be running at approximately the same performance level with a - .1 offset applied so I think I'm looking in the right area.

One of the challenges here is that I'm hell bent on sticking with the stock cooler.... I'm looking at this as more of a console-type build that I want to just work with the hardware I've thrown at it as opposed to my main rig which would typically have custom cooling.
If you are staying in stock cooler, have you tried much with pbo off? I know it will be a minor performance drop, but I think they generally suck back quite a bit more power with PBO.

Also, I can’t remember if it was PBO on or off discussions, but I seem to remember that peak performance was generally around an offset of -0.075 to -0.08...obviously this will be chip dependant, but it may be worth a shot.

sswilson

Staff member
1607784469995.png

The simple things in life..... getting a long awaited delivery notification 1 day early.... :)

sswilson

Staff member
case box.jpg

case unpacked.jpg

Finally arrived!!!! Corsair 220T RGB "Airflow".

I was looking for something relatively small that would fit both a full sized ATX motherboard and a standard ATX PSU. I looked at several different makes/models but this looked like it ticked off the great majority of my requirements in a small package, and came with a full set of unicorn puke SP fans + controller.

It's been mentioned here a few times by members making suggestions on cases, but I don't recall seeing anybody post a build in one. The word I had in my mind when I first started looking at different models was "diminutive" and when I saw Guru3D use that exact word in their review it probably pushed me over the edge. :)

Bond007

Nice choice. Most cases are getting too large in every dimension as they add rad support all around.

sswilson

Staff member
Nice choice. Most cases are getting too large in every dimension as they add rad support all around.

Yeah, I'll be sure to snap a couple of pics comparing this to my PC-011 :)

The biggest design element that allows these groups of Mid-Towers to slim down is the lack of any front support for 5 1/4 bays (or front HDD cages). That allows them to shave off a big chunk of depth (over 3" when compared to my 011.

Done connecting everything up and starting cable management. T'was a bit tight connecting some of the headers with a full ATX board in there, but it's doable.

build preCM.jpg

build preCM back.jpg

I don't think I like the routing of the PCIe cable(s). That's apparently what that routing gromit is for, but I suspect it'll look much better routed from the front of the MB along side the 24 Pin. At some point I'll probably take a fit and order a set of white extensions.

sswilson

Staff member
CM Complete Back.jpg

HDD caddy.jpg

If you look at the space forward of the PSU you can see that there would have been more than enough room to shoehorn that HDD caddy back in there if I wanted to, but I don't have a need for it on this particular build so there's no need for it blocking airflow.

complete side.jpg

complete rear.jpg

Pretty tight fit, but keep in mind that's a full ATX board. Without scale to go by, it almost looks like a mITX build. :)

Aside from being a bit fiddly when it came to the motherboard connectors/headers (because they were tight against the PSU cover) the only real complaint I've got is the lack of an HDD led. I've got the power switch light connected to the HDD activity light since the unicorn puke will be more than enough to let me know if the PC is powered on, and the memory stays lit when the PC is in sleep.

sswilson

Staff member
I'll have to do some extended 3DMark looping, but so far cooling vs noise seems decent enough now that I've dialed in the fan profiles (and yeah, as Supergrover said, DC is pretty much useless for anything outside of Mystic lighting. Everything you need for fan profiles is available in bios). Pretty impressed that these SP fans (they're DC as opposed to PWM) have no problems dialing down to 600 RPM.

I had to majorly dial back the exhaust fan I'm using (Lian-Li 900-1700 PWM) it was absolutely screaming during stress runs. :)

sswilson

Staff member
Pretty nice little build, I like that golden cage around the gpu but not sure rgb lighting in unicorn puke mode works too well lol

That's actually how the Evoke went to market. Something to do with AMD's golden anniversary?

edit: On further testing, that Lian-Li fan is still the loudest thing under normal operations in spite of being tuned down to a little over 1K RPM (I can't get it down to the listed 900 RPM minimum)

Latest posts