What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

I think bad PSU so I bought a replacement.

justmehereajax

I have a really old Corsair CX430M. The PC was used very heavily by my sister. Left on for months sometimes since 2012.

The PC does not boot properly (boots when left off for a long time but subsequent boots it freezes at a blank black screen) so I suspect the PSU. It is in a small Cube ITX case. CM Elite 120 Advanced.

I bought a new replacement CX450M from Corsair.

I think the older modular cables should work with the new one right?

I did the wiring and I don't want to do it again.

Bond007

No idea on the cables matching or not, it will likely depend on which OEM they used, and if it changed. I would say the problem is likely electrical, but whether that is PSU or MOB or something else will be a bit of a roll of the dice without troubleshooting. PSU would probably be most likely, but only testing will confirm.

Soultribunal

Staff member
I know for the higher end Corsair units they mark the actual Modular cables as 'Type 2' or 'Type 3'.

See if they have that on them?
Worst case drop them a line, they are pretty responsive. That or go to Johnny Guru and ask the experts there. They would know right away.

-ST

supaflyx3

They are both built by CWT, but are completely different PSUs. Do not use the same cables unless you like fried hardware. If you REALLY want to reuse the cables trace each lead with your finger nail and compare it to the cables that came with your new PSU. But that would take longer than just switching cables.

Izerous

Folding Team
I think even if something said they might be compatible I'd still take a multimeter on continuity mode and double check the mapping of each wire.

justmehereajax

I finally got the chance today to replace the PSU also I added a new SSD and it is blank black screen again.

I resetted the CMOS. Took ram out and still have the same problem.

Wasted 65+40 on the new psu and SSD... angry now. Gonna strip the whole pc down and give it a clean witth air duster and brush.....