What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

I think I just lost a 2TB external drive

Blu

It was a 2TB WD Elements drive that I had full of HD movies and now when I goto it in my hard drive menu it just shows a blank page, highlighted it still shows 1.7TB/1.8TB in use, HD Tune pro doesn't show the drive either just says it's name and (0gb) next to it, does it sound dead or is there anything I can do to possibly fix it you think? Or is it time to RMA it would you say?

Blu

I honestly have no clue on how to open these element drives no cables should be loose as well but I'm gonna do a major clean in my room in the next few days and ill test it in other usb ports.

JMCD

I'm fairly certain it voids the warranty if you open up the enclosure, however if it doesn't I would suggest plugging it into your PC directly and see if that changes anything.

zsamz_

i opened mine up to load stuff faster than usb lol
was easy

the board might be faulty :whistle: n not the drive worth a shot

Andy

Definitely open that thing up ... If it is under warranty and you send it in they will most likely just send you another one and you will lose your data. I've had drives in external cases stop working a bunch of times. Pulling them out and connecting directly or using a drive dock has always worked.

Blu

I'm fairly certain it voids the warranty if you open up the enclosure, however if it doesn't I would suggest plugging it into your PC directly and see if that changes anything.
It's plugged into a extra 4 port USB card I bought from NCIX, I'll try a new port but it seems to relate to this problem I had here,
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/46556-odd-thing.html

Basically c:\$Mft (or any drive letter) basically means your drive is dying and I guess mine has hit the bucket I can try opening it up but i think I would rather collect on the warranty I have on it first of all.

JMCD

It's plugged into a extra 4 port USB card I bought from NCIX, I'll try a new port but it seems to relate to this problem I had here,
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/46556-odd-thing.html

Basically c:\$Mft (or any drive letter) basically means your drive is dying and I guess mine has hit the bucket I can try opening it up but i think I would rather collect on the warranty I have on it first of all.
I know some drives have a "warranty void" sticker, if it doesn't I would certainly go for it. I've had 2 enclosures die on me, no drives though!

NI3

Well, it is either lose the warranty and try to get the data, if it has a sticker.
Or lose the data, but keep the warranty.

If the data is backed up, or not that important, go for the warranty.

Latest posts