What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

I think the video card is dead

kirik

So my brother came to me with an unusual problem with his PC. It's an older one just used to surf, email, etc., sort of like the public pc at his place.

Athlon x2 5000+
MSI K9A2
Diamond Radeon 6850

The problem is that the card only displays a black screen for all resolutions except for 640x480. I know this for sure since the card displays the boot tests, bios, win xp safe mode with no issues.

So at this point, I've tried:

- removing the device from device manager in safe mode, this allows me to get back to normal win xp desktop.
- changing the resolution to anything higher than 640x480 at this point results in the black screen.
- I've also tried to boot Ubuntu live mode off a usb, the same problem happens as soon as it gets to a point where monitor resolution is changed to something higher than 640x480.
- after all that I dug out my old radeon 4850 and installed it, windows and ubuntu all boot up to the correct resolutions with no problems.

My best guess at this point is that something failed in the video card but it's not a catastrophic failure. Any ideas on what else I can try before I advise my brother to just buy another card?

Edit: I forgot to mention that I had also tried 2 other PSUs. They all work with the 4850 but the 6850 exhibits the same symptoms.

Last edited:

Bond007

Can you get into windows at 640x480? If so check the card temps. Really it's anyone's guess at this point.

Edit: did you try different video outputs on the card?

kirik

Yep, I can get into windows just fine. I just cleaned out the fan and heatsink and repasted so I reasonably sure that isn't an issue.

kirik

Yep, tried 3 monitors and it all does the same thing. Also tried different connections / cables.

trodas

Website
trodas.wz.cz
Probably dead caps, as the graphic card cannot power itself anymore. Unless your bro can determine the good replacements, oder them, desolder the existing ones and solder the new ones in, not doing any mistakes, then it is likely to be better to get a new card.

It is odd that I say it (because I was resuscitating even Radeon R9100 graphic card, lol http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/overclocking-tweaking-benchmarking/64189-radeon-r9100-recap.html ), but it is best bet for someone who is not skilled with hardware repairs. Besides, you can use notably cheaper card for the intended usage.

Shadowmeph

I agree if trying different monitors and a different cables didn't work look for swollen caps on the card caps are pretty cheap .
I fixed one of my older 19" monitors by replacing two caps if it wasn't for the people on this site I probably would have tossed the thing.

Bond007

I agree if trying different monitors and a different cables didn't work look for swollen caps on the card caps are pretty cheap .
I fixed one of my older 19" monitors by replacing two caps if it wasn't for the people on this site I probably would have tossed the thing.

Just to add one point: different monitors / different cable / and different outputs on the graphics card.

kirik

Thanks for the input! I'll pull the heatsink and shroud off tonight and see if there are any bad caps or physically damaged components.

Latest posts

Twitter