What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

I Tried To FIX The Corsair A500 Air Cooler!

Lysrin

Does anyone else find it just mysterious? I mean surely they must have tested it before they released it. Somebody designed it, you'd think who should have known something about thermodynamics. And surely they knew that it was going to be tested and reviewed by at least of few reputable folks out there (HWC being one) that aren't just shills in exchange for sponsorship. So why release it with the claims they made for the price they're charging?

Doesn't add up in my mind... I mean sure, someone slaps a Corsair label on it in hopes of making money; I get that. But really shortsighted if it doesn't perform. Hurts the brand in the long run.

sswilson

Staff member
Sounds like a story we've heard many a time when companies branch out beyond their core competencies. At some point the suits start making product/quality decisions over the heads of the engineering teams and quality goes to crap.

Is it a one-of? Who knows, but there have also been troubling complaints about poor after-sale customer service over the last year or two which can point to the same problematic mindset at a company.

Mr. Friendly

Sounds like a story we've heard many a time when companies branch out beyond their core competencies. At some point the suits start making product/quality decisions over the heads of the engineering teams and quality goes to crap.

Is it a one-of? Who knows, but there have also been troubling complaints about poor after-sale customer service over the last year or two which can point to the same problematic mindset at a company.
I think it's more like how a hedge fund bought them and now they want to milk Corsair to get their money's worth. :p

CMetaphor

Quadfather
@Lysrin
Not mysterious at all, this is what Corsair does when they're left alone. All their good products are ones they've either been making for decades (ram) or ones they bought from other companies (asetek and coolit wcing, for example).

Any computer person with half a brain would look at this heatsink and immediately think "Hmm, theres a big gap between the two towers, but no fan? Why? *Every other dual tower heatsink in the world has a fan in the middle.*"

Forget thermodynamics, Corsair [email protected]#$ed up a simple air cooler. They could've just copied a notcua D14 and gotten a much better product, but they're not even that smart..

gingerbee

ya it really seems like corsair has tried to make anything and everything when it comes to cooling in the last year or so trying to max out that profit margin on as many products they can before it all goes to sh1t and their name don't mean mud

freeagent

That is nothing new though, that’s how they have always rolled. They just put their name on other peoples stuff. And consumers love them for it. Personally, I have owned a few of “their products” and they were mediocre at best. As a company, I do not respect them, and they will get zero dollars from me in the coming future.

10e

Meh, Corsair

Was a community based, high quality company that has since lost touch with the community and decided to maximize profit. Even though they were second in case sales, they were first in profit on cases. I wonder why?

Going from high quality, robust and well built cases to "every niche market and segment covering" garbage with thin metal, questionable functionality and styling, constant changes on their RGB stuff, AIO water cooling that is expensive and not worth it, etc...

Other than their RAM, SSDs and fans, their stuff has become overpriced shlock.

Some of their new DiY water cooling stuff is good for the money, but that's because they've partnered up with Xylem, Hardware Labs and Bitspower.

Maybe that's why the A500 is so bad, to get people to buy AiOs and custom WC gear.

Oh how the mighty have fallen.