What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

i7 4790k

theinternetisfor

How much should I be paying for this?

I was offered it for $100 with a 212 evo cooler (albeit I already own one)

Also what's a good way to know how much stuff should go for? I don't want to be bothering people here every time I want a cpu price check up. Do I simply average out the ebay sold listings price?

sswilson

Staff member
I was sourcing 4XXX i5s a few months back and managed to snag a couple @ around $40. I personally wouldn't pay more than $75 for an i7, but IIRC they were running $80+ when I looked.

The platform is still viable these days, but it's also so old that I'd expect full MB/CPU/Mem combos to run $100 - $150.

theinternetisfor

I was sourcing 4XXX i5s a few months back and managed to snag a couple @ around $40. I personally wouldn't pay more than $75 for an i7, but IIRC they were running $80+ when I looked.

The platform is still viable these days, but it's also so old that I'd expect full MB/CPU/Mem combos to run $100 - $150.
If a full combo would go for 100-150 then a cpu with a cooler for 100 seems like a rip off :(

Do you mind telling me where you found those i5s? I wouldn't mind dropping 40 for an i5 either.
For the time being, I've only looked at redflagdeals, FB marketplace and ebay. Although come to think of it, this site, craigslist, and kijiji should be good options too