What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

If I cannot get a AMD 5000 cpu, what should I get?

Coach

A motherboard hardware failure in my wife's computer about a month ago has me desperate to build myself a new computer so that she may get my 8700k, mobo and ram. I am impatient and I need a CPU for a computer. I was planning on getting a 5900x coming from a 8700k. I have my new ASUS x570 TUF gaming and ram for weeks now waiting for AMD to launch the 5900x. On Nov 5th I was unable to order any CPU unfortunately as they were all out of stock.

Now what do I do? wait more? Buy an interim CPU? I was reading over on LTT forum and one guy says that B&H told him his preorder would only be filled in March...

Bond007

go for a 3000 series high end and accept it, wait it out, or buy a cheap CPU for the board to hold you over and upgrade later...it's going to be your call on this one.

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
go for a 3000 series high end and accept it, wait it out, buy a cheap CPU for the board to hold you over and upgrade later...it's going to be your call on this one.

That's what I was thinking as well. If you are currently short a PC in your household you may have to bite the bullet and buy a board that will support a 5XXX processor but pick up a low(er) end 3XXX series processor to run on it until the dust settles on 5XXX availability.

Dwayne

A motherboard hardware failure in my wife's computer about a month ago has me desperate to build myself a new computer so that she may get my 8700k, mobo and ram. I am impatient and I need a CPU for a computer. I was planning on getting a 5900x coming from a 8700k. I have my new ASUS x570 TUF gaming and ram for weeks now waiting for AMD to launch the 5900x. On Nov 5th I was unable to order any CPU unfortunately as they were all out of stock.

Now what do I do? wait more? Buy an interim CPU? I was reading over on LTT forum and one guy says that B&H told him his preorder would only be filled in March...

When I started building my computer I decided to buy a 3600 as a placeholder to test all the parts and to hedge against a wait. I bought a 3600X because it was only a couple of bucks more, but it performs nearly as well as the 8700k, so I am good until I get a 5900X to replace it.

So, my advice, get a 3000 series chip and wait for the 5000 series.

JD

Staff member
I still don't think the 3000 chips are "bad" now that 5000 is out...

If you game at >1080p, you're looking at around 5% I think? If you do a lot of CPU heavy work, then 5000 is a decent bump. But at the same time, a 3900X/XT will still be a huge increase from a 8700k in heavily threaded workloads.

I would say grab what you can "now" and use that for the next year or 2. I'm guessing 5000 series chips will be available a while longer (there's still 2000 series chips for sale). I wouldn't be overly surprised if we see "XT" versions too later next year.

Coach

I wish I knew how long I would have to wait for a 5000 series CPU. I would have regret if I could get a 5600x/5800x/5900x within a months time but jumped on a 3600 now. oh well.

djbrad

How about this? Get the cheapest cpu, the 3100 (140$ cad). Build this for your wife on the x570 with you ram. When the 5000 series is available again, wait for a good deal and take the system for you then?

JD

Staff member
I wish I knew how long I would have to wait for a 5000 series CPU. I would have regret if I could get a 5600x/5800x/5900x within a months time but jumped on a 3600 now. oh well.
It looks like the next "big" shipment of 5600X (1040), 5800X (1688) and 5900X (2366) is due on Nov 28. Those numbers are from PC-Canada, but usually they just show the distributor counts, similar to Mikes and such as well since most of these places have drop-ship agreements. We don't have many distributors here in Canada, I think most of our retail outlets buy from Synnex and Ingram Micro?

If you don't already have an order in, it might be best to get that done today. Maybe you'll be lucky and get one from this batch, though I'm guessing most are already accounted for...

Latest posts

Twitter