What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Ikea Flintan Office Chair Review | The Best Chair for $69.99?

Aidos

Hey Everyone!

Many people recently have been moved to upgrade their chair for better posture and comfort, with a large amount of people opting for expensive 'racer' chairs. However, can you get a good, comfortable office chair for less, or do you lose out too much by not spending enough? From what I've found so far the Ikea Flintan seems to offer a really comfortable sitting experience with a decent range of features at a pretty low price. For my full thoughts I have a full video review here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWkLaoGrjLQ

Bond007

Interestingly enough, I was looking for a new chair not that long ago...that said, I can't find anything <$300 that I like more than my current one (I don't even remember where I got my chair, but I think I paid $150). I guess I will use mine until it self destructs. I might have to try the FLINTAN the next time I go to IKEA though.

Caldezar

Costco carries some really good options for cheap as well.

My biggest gripe with Ikea office chairs is that the compression goes really fast on the main air chamber. Meaning 6 months in to owning the chair, you'll start to notice it gradually lose height as you sit in it. Then you constantly have to adjust it back up to height again.

Aidos

My biggest gripe with Ikea office chairs is that the compression goes really fast on the main air chamber. Meaning 6 months in to owning the chair, you'll start to notice it gradually lose height as you sit in it. Then you constantly have to adjust it back up to height again.
Yeah, unfortunately I live in Australia, which means Costco is kind of out of the option. While I haven't had any issues with the air chamber yet, I will make sure to keep an eye on that. Australia has really strong consumer laws, so I am sure if that started to happen I could claim warranty on the chair.

decent opinions... i rather to have arm rest set...

i also just watch your g602 too... which is not bad...
The chair I used to have had armrests, and while I liked them on that chair I actually have been surprised that I haven't found that I have missed them on this chair, I wanted to try it and see if I wanted to buy armrests later, but so far I haven't felt the need to.

Also I'm glad you liked the video(s)!

Interestingly enough, I was looking for a new chair not that long ago...that said, I can't find anything <$300 that I like more than my current one (I don't even remember where I got my chair, but I think I paid $150). I guess I will use mine until it self destructs. I might have to try the FLINTAN the next time I go to IKEA though.
That's good, a nice chair seems to last a long time. In the end chairs are pretty subjective, but it's nice being able to give them a try in store to see what you think of them. I've been pretty happy with the Flintan, but I know there are people who swear by the Markus, which personally I didn't find comfortable. Each to their own!

Last edited by a moderator:

Bond007

Yeah, unfortunately I live in Australia, which means Costco is kind of out of the option. While I haven't had any issues with the air chamber yet, I will make sure to keep an eye on that. Australia has really strong consumer laws, so I am sure if that started to happen I could claim warranty on the chair.
There are 7 or 8 Costco in AUS. I go to my local one atleast once a week, since "petrol" (I have to put that in quote, since I struggle to say it...I still revert to saying gas everytime) is way cheaper there most of the time...they have some chairs there as well, but I haven't tried them.

Aidos

There are 7 or 8 Costco in AUS. I go to my local one atleast once a week, since "petrol" (I have to put that in quote, since I struggle to say it...I still revert to saying gas everytime) is way cheaper there most of the time...they have some chairs there as well, but I haven't tried them.
Really? Well I take that back then, my mistake. I guess if I ever have to get another chair I will give them a shot then!

Chris

Try put your chair on its side, ie, the air cylinder on horizontal position. In this position, the oil in the chamber spreads and that will keep the air pressure tight. I need to do this once every few months, and it works.

sa seba

I think some of their more pricey chairs (like the Markus) carry a longish warranty that covers the air chamber thingy. I have had my Markus for 1-1/2 years now and so far it has held up much better than any of the staples chairs (250-300 CAD range) I had bought before.

Chris

I have a Global chair from Staples that have life time warranty. I had it for about 9 years, and the cylinder starter to loose air and sink downwards requirement constant adjustment. I called Global, and they said the cylinder is only cover for 5 years, and that I can purchase a new cylinder. What a bummer. Eventually, I discovered that if I lay the chair on its side for a few hours or overnight, the problem is gone. It is due to the fact that the piece of material inside the cylinder (maybe rubber, or maybe leather like in some of the hand pumps) has dried up, and ny turning it on its side, the oil inside the cylinder lubricates that material and it would give a proper seal, until the next time. Every time I do this, it would last for a month or 2 and I would do it again. Give it a try and see if it works for you.