What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

I'll be Folding for "Rose" for a Bit; Donate to Gordon's Stanford server

SwingOP3

Edit by Chrisk:
Full Taoer has a post here that gives info on a donation drive to get a Stanford server in Gordon's name.

Gordon Smitheman and his wife both passed away recently. Gordon was huge in the folding community, and for HWC in particular, he was instrumental in getting us involved in the Chimp Challenge (he believed we could be great competitors in that contest, and we have proven him right).

Gordon folded for all the right reasons, and the community/world is less without him. Had a chance to chat with him a few times, and this is indeed a worthy cause.

Chrisk
--------

This is just an FYI that I'll be throwing some points over to my old team MaxPC for the next little while.

Found out today that the wife of Gordon Smitheman has been diagnosed with inoperable pancreatic cancer. If there is one person whom I could point to that got me started folding and kept me folding for the last two years, it would be this man. He was THEE folding fanboy for Team MaxPC for so many years and is well known in the folding community as he has acted as the team captain for the Chimp Challenge in years past.

There are posts on the MaxPC folding forums regarding the "Bad News" thread from Gordon about the disease as well as a "Foldathon for Rose" thread discussing the amassing of points as a tribute to him and his wife.

My good friend Full_Taoer has posted info on EVGA, [H]ardOCP, Overclock.net, Custom PC and Windows7Forums regarding this sad news. There has been heartwarming support and condolences from all facets of the folding community.

We are a large number of groups on the same team!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Soultribunal

Staff member
This is just an FYI that I'll be throwing some points over to my old team MaxPC for the next little while.

Found out today that the wife of Gordon Smitheman has been diagnosed with inoperable pancreatic cancer. If there is one person whom I could point to that got me started folding and kept me folding for the last two years, it would be this man. He was THEE folding fanboy for Team MaxPC for so many years and is well known in the folding community as he has acted as the team captain for the Chimp Challenge in years past.​

There are posts on the MaxPC folding forums regarding the "Bad News" thread from Gordon about the disease as well as a "Foldathon for Rose" thread discussing the amassing of points as a tribute to him and his wife.​

My good friend Full_Taoer has posted info on EVGA, [H]ardOCP, Overclock.net, Custom PC and Windows7Forums regarding this sad news. There has been heartwarming support and condolences from all facets of the folding community.​

We are a large number of groups on the same team!!

This is the reason many of us Fold my friend. Where the points go matters little, so long as we are all focusing on the same goal.
We lost one of our Pioneers here (Pete) and he has insipired many of us to fold. Very sorry to hear this news, none of us ever want to hear such things...

-ST

Keywork

This is the reason many of us Fold my friend. Where the points go matters little, so long as we are all focusing on the same goal.
We lost one of our Pioneers here (Pete) and he has insipired many of us to fold. Very sorry to hear this news, none of us ever want to hear such things...

-ST

Ditto. I hope all becomes better.

ilya

Somebody want to post a link with the foldathon info for interested members? Google just links back here for me.

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
We all Fold for a reason, or to remember. Once the passkey is known, I'll swap both servers to her name, in her honor.

Full_Taoer

Many thanks to SwingOp3 for spreading the news here. This is what the folding community is about and I'm glad to be a part of it.

chrisk has a PM waiting over at MaxPC. I'm sure he will share the passkey with trusted users who wish to fold for Rose.

Gordon PM'd me this morning to say that he has shared all of the attention from the various forums with Rose and he says it is helping to lift her spirits. I will add a link to this thread over there, if it has not yet been linked.

On behalf of Gordon, Rose, and the entire MaxPC team, I thank all of you!

chrisk

Folding Captain
Many thanks to SwingOp3 for spreading the news here. This is what the folding community is about and I'm glad to be a part of it.

chrisk has a PM waiting over at MaxPC. I'm sure he will share the passkey with trusted users who wish to fold for Rose.

Gordon PM'd me this morning to say that he has shared all of the attention from the various forums with Rose and he says it is helping to lift her spirits. I will add a link to this thread over there, if it has not yet been linked.

On behalf of Gordon, Rose, and the entire MaxPC team, I thank all of you!

Welcome to the boards FT....wish it were under better circumstances.

Gsmitherman is one of the folding community's most respected gentlemen. He has brought in many folders over the years and the community owes him a lot. Contributing to Rose's username is a very small gesture.

Latest posts