What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

In-home game streaming advice

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Hey all, I'm curious if anyone has tried in-home game streaming and what you use. Plus, as always, questions:

1) when streaming Steam to Steam, what specs does each PC need to have? Can the server be the gamer pc and streaming client a weak one?

2) I've seen some suggestions for using an Nvidia Shield TV for this. GeForce Now is out of beta and supposedly works okay (for games you own on steam, ironically, so I wouldn't need to install supported games on a Steam "server"). I also like the Shield (and still use my K1 tablet all the time), and have seen it used for Kodi, emulation gaming and Android gaming too, so if it's an option it might be interesting.

3) Does anyone recommend something other than Steam to Steam or GeForce Now?

I'd like to find a relatively inexpensive option, so reusing old PCs would be better for many than a new 200+$ Nvidia shield.

Thanks all

Mr. Friendly

you mean have a PC client in one room and use it over Ethernet on a screen or TV in another room?

you always need to have some sort of client at the other end, whether it's a thin client or full on device (like a Shield).

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Yeah, server and client in the same house, save for GeForce Now (depending on how well it works).

I'm hoping that a file server with a good processor and GPU will be able to stream games to older PCs I use as htpcs typically, but I have no idea how "weak" those client PCs can be.

Entz

Client doesn't need a whole lot. At least on the steam side. You can use a raspberry pi for example. Even the old steamlink was super basic. As long as it has hardware to decode H264 and a good network connection it should be fine.

Mr. Friendly

Client doesn't need a whole lot. At least on the steam side. You can use a raspberry pi for example. Even the old steamlink was super basic. As long as it has hardware to decode H264 and a good network connection it should be fine.
yeh, it probably comes down to the network backbone...latency and all that stuff.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
So my little low-power APUs could be enough? Interesting. Once I can find the motivation to finish my wired gigabit home network, is there anything on the switch side that is recommended, Besides the gigabit speed itself?

And if that means the server does all the graphics heavy lifting, what would you guys recommend as a GPU? I'll have 970 available one day (again, once i get the motivation to finish my Ryzen PCs), and an older 680 as well.

Entz

Yeah gigabit should be fine, its honestly more about latency then bandwidth. The bandwidth will be quite small, 100mbit is enough. My guess is 20mbit at best but its been a while since I tried it. Wireless can work but if its unstable based on your environment you will hate life.

I would do the highest you have as that will ultimately be the bottleneck. Your not only playing the game, but basically encoding the image and transmitting which will take some GPU power too. As a proof of concept the 680 will be fine i am sure, just may require tweaking the settings of the game a bit to where you are comfortable.

justmehereajax

I tried this before. Years ago
Server was a i7 with R9 270x (7870)
Client was a dual core with a ATI 2600XT lol

720p in CS GO PVP i tried. Lets say I got some kills. so not worth while.
Gigabit network

I also got the stream small thing. still have one. Might use it again one day.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
I tried this before. Years ago
Server was a i7 with R9 270x (7870)
Client was a dual core with a ATI 2600XT lol

720p in CS GO PVP i tried. Lets say I got some kills. so not worth while.
Gigabit network

I also got the stream small thing. still have one. Might use it again one day.
Well that's not wholly discouraging.
I mean, I'd use an FX 8-core, 970/680, 8-16gb ram, spinners in raid 5 or 6 or 10. SSD boot drive. Etc.

The client side will be more interesting to try. I've got APUs from all across the spectrum.
Dual cores at 3.0ghz+.
Quads at 2.0ghz+
One quad at 3.4 (?) (3870k)
Will be interesting to see at what point do they become too slow to handle certain games.

*** It's worth noting though: I do *not* intend to use any of this for PvP games. It's will all be for simple PvE games, indie games, SP games, etc.***

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
jesus. NVidia doesn't make the specs easy to find.

Host PC specs are essentially "whatever will run the game you want to stream, plus 7mbps up", since it's actually the device 'playing the game'.

guest PC is a lot looser; 'no minimum gpu' is especially interesting.
  • Guest PC:
    • GPU: No minimum requirement
    • CPU: Intel i3-2100 3.1GHz or higher
    • System Memory: 4 GB or higher
    • Software: Chrome version 44
    • Router
      • Minimum: 802.11 a/g router
      • Recommended: 8.02.11n 5Ghz router or Ethernet
    • Recommended Network Bandwidth: 7 Mbps downstream

For the record, I use the ' streaming from PC' option a lot. I have never had an issue with it on any supported game. Unsupported? Well. Some. Mostly scaling/resolution bugs.

I don't know the technical side of things, but it appears to just detect the second client as an additional monitor device is all.