What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

In house remote pc setup

danmitch1

Hi guys,
So i want to beable to use my desktop pc all over the house. Id like it to perform nearly the same as if i was sitting at my desk.
I tried teamviewer but its not rendering my viewports in 3d studio max.
i was hoping to either use my tablet or an old laptop ..
I was wondering if wireless display adaptors would do the trick with a good wireless mouse and kb..

Any ideas?

clshades

I know the teamviewer app and other related type remote login apps don't support 3D apps. Steam is the only program that I am aware of that can send 3D over the network so the technology is there if you catch my drift. The only long distance mouse and keyboard I've ever had any success with is bluetooth which is good to about 30 feet.

Perhaps if the display itself had USB connectors you could get the mouse and keyboard to connect through that?

danmitch1

I know the teamviewer app and other related type remote login apps don't support 3D apps. Steam is the only program that I am aware of that can send 3D over the network so the technology is there if you catch my drift. The only long distance mouse and keyboard I've ever had any success with is bluetooth which is good to about 30 feet.

Perhaps if the display itself had USB connectors you could get the mouse and keyboard to connect through that?

Hey clshades, thanks for your reply !
Im guessing the mouse and kb can be arranged one way or another but its the video Im unsure of.
I thought widi would be a solution but im not sure how it works long range.. I mean the distance i need isnt too too far ... maybe max 35 feet.. I just thought too , my place is really old and has like the plaster/latt constructed walls so even my wifi had trouble penetrating 2 walls, i had to buy an wifi extension..

sswilson

Staff member
Is the remote use going to be at a fixed location, or does it have to be mobile?

danmitch1

Gotta be portable.. my girlfriend wont approve a computer screen wired into my living room lol.. You see im trying to get the best of both worlds , being able to work on my pc while "spending time" with the gf... I get away with using my tablet but she gets annoyed when i seclude my self in my office for hours on end ":angry2:"

sswilson

Staff member
Gotta be portable.. my girlfriend wont approve a computer screen wired into my living room lol.. You see im trying to get the best of both worlds , being able to work on my pc while "spending time" with the gf... I get away with using my tablet but she gets annoyed when i seclude my self in my office for hours on end ":angry2:"

Heh.... understood! My suggestion(s) won't work then. I've run quite a few "remote" monitor/keyboard setups over the years, but they've all been fixed and hard wired.

clshades

Apparently the best wireless display adapter is the windows version @ 70 bux. Then you'll need the bluetooth wireless extender at another 60 ish bux. Bluetooth mice and keyboards aren't cheap either so there's another 150 bux. The worst part is you don't even know if any of this stuff is going to work the way you want. Top that with the lathe walls and you are basically trying to operate the unknown in a Faraday cage.

Now the only complaint I've seen about the wireless windows adapter is there is lag so short of spending a small fortune on a laptop that can run this stuff I'm not sure what your best option is. Keep in mind if you are sitting beside your gal working on your projects she's gonna be just as annoyed ;-)

PS don't let her read the last part :haha:

danmitch1

Lol i mean either way shes gonna get annoyed, just trying to minimize it.. yeah im not sure i want to spend too too much.
I do on the other hand have a crawl space under me i could run some wires.. hdmi 40 footer? Usb extension with wireless adapter? Hmmm

Latest posts

Twitter