What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Innovation Cooling 7 Carat Diamond TIM Test results thread *NOW ACCEPTING RESULTS!!*

rjbarker

Quick question here before I get home and put my Classified / I7 Rig back together....have you guys all been placing a "pea size" amount in the centre? I have a tune of this stuff awaiting me as well..(sorry too lazy to read through the entire Thread)..

MpG

Mutant pea size. Regular pea size doesn't work, and you wind up with textbook examples of those 'air holes' on IC's website. Don't be afraid to be a little generous. Warming the tube up in some hot water might help too, according to some people. It's definitely thick stuff, and I'll be trying it myself tomorrow for run#4.

MpG

Yeah, bigger pea size. Wish I'd thought to take a photograph of my own efforts. But honestly, the photos on IC's site, their 'peas' seem just slightly small, by my (limited) experience with this stuff.

H

HaDeS

Yeah, bigger pea size. Wish I'd thought to take a photograph of my own efforts. But honestly, the photos on IC's site, their 'peas' seem just slightly small, by my (limited) experience with this stuff.

you're right... boil the damn tube too... its like spreading bubble gum.

Jon_di2

Alright I waited a while before posting results as I was skeptical and I wanted to see if the temp difference would last... I dont have idle temps cuz it is never truely idle.* But here are my temps accorting to real temp (same ambiant temp for both)

The Temps are for Core 0 (the other cores are all 5-10 degrees less...) using Realtemp on a Q9450 at 3.2.

as5
load: 59-61c

ic7
load=57c-60c

It was nice to see it not peaking over 60, considering ic7 isn't more expensive, its a sweet deal!

Oh and I used a fair bit more ic7 then I would any other TIM.

hightest

rj, your probubly allready have your rig put back 2gether,,but i used a about a 5mm dot in the middle of my cpu,my kids had a old plastic circle measering device with all differant sizeis of circels,so i got mine pretty close 2 what the website said about appying the compound

3 of 7

Time to get old school

Lots of dual cores and quads on here, so I figured I'd try this on my old P4 workhorse.
It's a 3.0C Northwood with a Zalman 7000ALCU in an MSI 945GCM478 mobo with 2G of DDR2 and a 7600GT ( PCI-E)
This rig runs open case all the time so that skews what one would expect the temps to be.
Load temps were taken 15 minutes into a 20 minute run at 100% using OCCT 3.01 and are all non-corrected as reported by everest Ultimate.
vbimghost.php
423349e9082708351.jpg

Ambient temps were 23C for all the tests

AS5

Idle 25
Load 44
RPM 1560 constant

IC7 First run ( second install after botching the first one)

Idle 25
Load 46
RPM 1560 constant

IC7 Second run
Idle 25
Load 45
RPM 1560 constant

The first install I used about twice the amount of IC7 than I would have used of AS5 and I knew immediately that something was wrong when it idled at 31 and load was 49 so I tore back into it.
Here's the size of IC7 I used

423349e908b104297.jpg

Here's the pattern on the HS. Too low and too small.

423349e908e2d9912.jpg

The line down the middle is from the copper strip on the HS

423349e908270b081.jpg

Here's my second application of IC7 ( about 3 times the size of AS5 )
423349e908e2dd415.jpg

Last edited:

Pelt

Thanks for the pictures gives me a good idea of how I should apply and the amount that seems to be working for everyone. I was planning on spreading but it looks to thick to spread evenly, so I think I'll go with the pea sized blob.

sswilson

Staff member
It wouldn't be fair to include the #s as the MX2 wasn't given a similar time to "cure", but I have seen a drop of 2 - 3 deg celsius over a period of 1 week (that's with a 1 c drop in ambient). Old #s were 60c across the board, new #s are 58/58/57/57.

The temp spikes are still behaving similarily with the max temp being only temporary spikes, although the average as a whole is getting a lot flatter.

Quick question on updating the stats for the HWC results... are we supposed to be PMing our results to somebody in order to get them included?

Latest posts