What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Installing a 15a breaker to outlet

JD

Staff member
Well that explains the $100 or so for a breaker... I honestly just thought that's how much they were.

Sagath

Staff member
Well that explains the $100 or so for a breaker... I honestly just thought that's how much they were.
The problem isnt the breaker, its the effect of the breaker.

If the Electrical Code would actually update in a timely manner, they would allow for Branch AFCI installations to be code, instead of bullshit $100 breakers that only solve 1/4 the problem. Not to mention installation is easier/faster, and can be implemented on any panel, regardless of manufacture of both the outlet, or the box.

Edit: Well, I'll be damned. They DID update it to allow them. That was actually...fast.

The new CE Code Rule 260724 (g) allows the use of an Outlet Branch-Circuit Type arc-fault circuit interrupter (OBC AFCI) instead of the Combination circuit breaker type required with Rule 26-724 (f), provided that the OBC AFCI is installed at the first outlet on the branch circuit and the wir¬ing method for the portion of the branch circuit between the branch-circuit overcurrent device and the first outlet comprises metal raceway, armoured cable, or non-metallic conduit or tubing

Last edited:

danmitch1

Thanks for the responses. Im in Quebec, according to the régie du batiment you are not allowed to do any electrical work unlicensed and without proper permits. I got several quotes back and the cheapest being 220 plus materials! Also I forgot to mention, its a rental... sooo forget that !
Really dumb though my work room shares a circuit with 3 rooms.... I guess back in the 50's they didnt require as much juice to play with!

Izerous

You can always speak to your landlord. I know I have had tenants ask me about modifications (ie can I mount a coat rack to the wall) and on occasion if I believe it ads to the property I pay for it outright but it gets left behind when they move out. I don't approve everything but I'm at least willing to talk about it. But I rented for a long time before I got into a situation where I became a landlord so I'm a bit more open then large property management companies about that kind of thing or others might be.

I'm not the one living there so if it ads to the usability of the property that is usually a good thing.

Another Edit: Tenant most recently asked about possibly expanding the deck to a more usable size, so i did follow thorugh with that and fix the existing structure and add onto it where possible / allowed.

Last edited:

clshades

An electrician will do the panel wire up no problem. I've never had to pull a permit for this unless the sparky requires it.

danmitch1

The electricians wanted an arm and a leg. So I ended up just mapping out all the outlets in my place then re routed power to less used circuits with some extension cords. I was able to reserve the entire 16a circuit for my work room. It only came down to 2 outlets that needed rerouting and stopping the use of 3 other outlets throughout out my place.

clshades

The electricians wanted an arm and a leg. So I ended up just mapping out all the outlets in my place then re routed power to less used circuits with some extension cords. I was able to reserve the entire 16a circuit for my work room. It only came down to 2 outlets that needed rerouting and stopping the use of 3 other outlets throughout out my place.
must have been a lot more work than you expected. Typically it's 80 bucks an hour. Min 1 hour charge. If all he had to do was add a breaker it shouldn't have been more than a couple hundred bucks.

Error 403 Daily Limit Exceeded. The quota will be reset at midnight Pacific Time (PT). You may monitor your quota usage and adjust limits in the API Console: https://console.developers.google.com/apis/api/youtube.googleapis.com/quotas?project=345236864347 : dailyLimitExceeded

Latest posts

Twitter