What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Installing Win98SE on a sata machine

Bomberman07

all these link contains very nice infos. but they refer to installing win98 to a sata hard drives. I can't even go this far as i work with a sata cd-rom drive (HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH40F). I can get the win98 boot cd to actually boot buy can't load the oemcd001 driver so i can't start the installation.

Found that the driver gcdrom.sys could work... but no idea how to put it on the installation cd. I must rename it to oakcdrom.sys and insert it in the base5.cab. But i have no idea how to do it, i've tried some freeware but with no results :(

Last edited:

Shadowmeph

that doesn't make sense to me, if it is a cd rom then it should boot, but if you are trying to load a dvd in a cd I can see a problem.
hmm I need more coffee to wake up.
hmm ok so I am thinking that maybe your hard drive be formated as NTFS partition and 98 has to be installed on a fat32 partition this is most likely your problem, so you will have to partition part of your hard drive as fat32 so you can install 98se

Last edited:

Bomberman07

that doesn't make sense to me, if it is a cd rom then it should boot, but if you are trying to load a dvd in a cd I can see a problem.
hmm I need more coffee to wake up.
hmm ok so I am thinking that maybe your hard drive be formated as NTFS partition and 98 has to be installed on a fat32 partition this is most likely your problem, so you will have to partition part of your hard drive as fat32 so you can install 98se
To clarify things,

1. its a DVD drive
2. the win98 install cd can boot, i choose the start cd thing, then start the installation of win98, then it tries to load up the cd-rom driver called oemcdrom001 wich is known to do not work with sata drives. So i'm not into the actual windows installer, you know the blue screen with the options.
3. The hdd (sata) has been partitionned and formated to fat32 with gparted

thanks for you help

Shadowmeph

remember to install the OSes in the right order, first any DOS-based systems (95,98,ME), then any NTLDR-loaded (NT3,NT4,2000,XP,2003), then WBM-loaded (Vista,7).

Oh, and 98 must ALWAYS be installed on the active partition IIRC.