What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Intel’s 12900K is Going to CRUSH the Competition!

Gav

Administrator
Staff member
Folding Team

Today, we go through every leak and every rumor we have on intel’s upcoming Alder lake S platform. Honestly, it looks pretty promising.

rjbarker

I'l be curious to see pricing of the DDR5......iirc....when DDR4 made its debut it was pretty pricey....also what kind of latency for say 4800 - 5000 Mhz...

belgolas

I'l be curious to see pricing of the DDR5......iirc....when DDR4 made its debut it was pretty pricey....also what kind of latency for say 4800 - 5000 Mhz...
Judging by history DDR5 will start off as having bad latency and then a couple years later will have great latency.

crazyea

It's subjective though. Will we notice the higher latency in normal computing? Probably not. It's most likely still one of the quickest links in our pc. It may be noticeable in some benchmarks because it's written there, so some people may suffer internally because of that.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Latency isnt the only factor. If the speed goes up comparative to the latency, and the ratio is the same, then it really doesnt matter, they're the same speed. We already know they're saying initial release speed is between 3200-6400mhz based on news reports.

Current gen 3200 ram 'averages' 16 CL. If 6400 mhz ram had anything less than 32CL it'll be faster comparatively. Crucial says their initial batch of DDR5 will be 4800mhz, so we should see latencies of approximately CL24-28 I'm going to guess.

This is also not taking in to account overall bandwidth, power savings, or other factors that may contribute to 'better' ram.

Edit: Woof. Was curious if any was on the market and yeah...Teamgroup released 4800mhz CL40. Thats really terrible. Its the same as 3200 CL26 ddr4.

Last edited:

Bond007

Latency isnt the only factor. If the speed goes up comparative to the latency, and the ratio is the same, then it really doesnt matter, they're the same speed. We already know they're saying initial release speed is between 3200-6400mhz based on news reports.

Current gen 3200 ram 'averages' 16 CL. If 6400 mhz ram had anything less than 32CL it'll be faster comparatively. Crucial says their initial batch of DDR5 will be 4800mhz, so we should see latencies of approximately CL24-28 I'm going to guess.

This is also not taking in to account overall bandwidth, power savings, or other factors that may contribute to 'better' ram.

Edit: Woof. Was curious if any was on the market and yeah...Teamgroup released 4800mhz CL40. Thats really terrible. Its the same as 3200 CL26 ddr4.

Yup…everything I have come across so far as ddr5 latencies as terrible at best.

belgolas

Yup I remember every launch of new ram generation and the initial release was always worse. I remember people saying how bad DDR2 was compared to DDR1. Same for DDR3 vs 2 along with DDR4 vs 3.

It is only natural when DDR4 is so refined with very tight timings especially with high end ram. You have DDR4 4000 with CL14. I doubt DDR5 will beat that at launch.

Latest posts