What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Intel 10nm Desktop chips

FreeKnight

I haven't been paying a ton of attention to the CPU scene lately, but my upgrade-itis is starting to really itch and my 4790k while still solid is feeling a little long in the tooth.

Has there been any news on the 10nm intel chips for the desktop side? A quick search shows lots of articles saying there's no desktop chips planned still, but I'm not sure how up to date that is. Just curious if there's been any news or roadmaps or if it's more likely we're just going to see a 14nm+++++++++++++++++++++.....++++++...+

Given the price drops in DDR4 lately I'm almost considering a newer intel or even more likely a new AMD mitx board to alleviate my 'condition' ;)

FreeKnight

Ah, I suspected as much. Well maybe if I price out a 9900K or 3900x system I'll be able to resist an upgrade for few more months :S

FreeKnight

Reviewing some benchmarks at 4K between the two reminded me why I've resisted so far. Decided I'd *finally* take a stab at OC'ing my 4790k after having considered it a few times (and mentioned it more than once here).

Initial results at 4.7Ghz seem good and easy, but I seem to be getting worse results at 4.8 even though AIDA shows no CPU throttling and temps are in the 70s at load. I'll probably have to start a separate OC thread for some help :D

Entz

As bond mentioned I don't think we will actually see 10nm desktop chips for at least a year or two. Intel has mentioned recently that they have separated the "design" from the "process" and expect 14nm to be used at least till 2021. General take is that the desktop version of Icelake will still be on 14nm ++...++ but have the enhancements so IPC should be decent. The ultra low power mobile stuff will be on 10nm where they can get away with castrating the core clocks. 45w mobile is up in the air at the moment.

Their 10nm is a disaster really and by the time it hits the desktop we will be at Zen 3...

Last edited:

Entz

Yeah, Intel is very fortunate that their 14nm was amazing and the IPC has stayed high. The mobile sector desperately needs power savings though since everyone is following Apple over a cliff in the race to thinness that cannot be cooled. My 3930k is still faster than a 9750H which is sad...

Last edited:

Mr. Friendly

that's interesting, being the boost of 9750K is significantly higher than your 3930K, not to mention Passmark scores it almost 20% higher than the 3930K.

Entz

The issue is thermals a 9750H hits 100c and downclocks very quickly in the vast majority of laptops. So your fancy new laptop hits 2.8-3ghz after a few seconds and never moves especially in multi-core. Single core its a bit better (174 vs 148 ish)

Edit: As example, a 3930k does around 1096 in CBR15 and a 9750h in a GS65 stealth averages around 1110 after the initial drop. So out of the box it is slightly faster but who keeps SB at stock ;) Now the odd properly cooled one is better for sure but they are getting rare.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Twitter