What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Intel 45nm CPUs to clock above 3GHz: Register

Babrbarossa

Some of the new 45 nm intel chips will be clocked over 3GHz, and the double cores will have 6MB cache and the quads will have 12. Intel says that theie new line will be geared more for performance than energy efficiency.

This higher clock speed sounds good, but I guarantee that overclocking won't be as spectacular as the present generation, but who knows.

"Intel will use its move to a 45nm chip production process primarily to increase performance rather than boost battery life or reduce energy consumption, the company admitted today.
Upcoming Core 2 and Xeon processors based on Intel's 45nm 'Penryn' architecture are due to go into production later this year. The chip maker confirmed what we'd gleaned from leaked roadmaps, that the 45nm chips will contain more L2 cache than their 65nm predecessors."

More from The Register

Patriote

Well, thats good news! I think ? More after performance than reducing power consumption...Thats good but not being able to push the CPUs as high as the current generation CPUs would suck IMO. And thats probably what were going to end up with.

sswilson

Staff member
Well it is a new process and core so I'd expect it to be able to OC fairly well.

If past experience is any indicator, it's the higher end procs of older processes/cores that tend to be at their max and don't have a lot of headroom.

Patriote

Well it is a new process and core so I'd expect it to be able to OC fairly well.

If past experience is any indicator, it's the higher end procs of older processes/cores that tend to be at their max and don't have a lot of headroom.

Yeah thats right. Who knows? We'll see!

sswilson

Staff member
I just suspect that Intel intentionally left alot of headroom on the C2D's to win over the enthusiasts- but now... they have our attention.

Yep, but overclockers are a fickle bunch when it comes to new hardware.

Just look at the # of S939 A64 overclockers who absolutely refused to upgrade to AM2 when it was apparent that there was no benefit other than higher stock speeds.

Babrbarossa

True, but now that they've got almost everyone to go with a 775 chipset- they've guaranteed themselves a hefty market share for two more years. That said, it really doesn't look like 'Chipzilla' is going to ease up at all- it's pretty fierce out there these days.

Babrbarossa

I find it interesting that in the midst of AMD's media shuffle where they have declared the 'Age of Green Computing' to be apon us- Intel has followed up by boldly stating that they are aiming straight at performance and to hell with the environment- As much as I don't like to admit it, I think it's a good move, because despite the lip-service that people give, anyone aside from server administrators is really more interested in speed when it comed down to it. It essentially makes AMD look like they're digging for consolations.