What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Intel Announces $5B Factory with 14nm Production

FiXT

Hall of Fame
During a visit by US President Barack Obama, Intel announced a US $5 billion dollar commitment to build a new manufacturing facility in Arizona, US, which will be the first fab to begin work on the next generation 14nm architecture.     Intel is building a new $5 billion-plus factory in Arizona.     Fab 42 wi... [ Read full article ]

Last edited:

Reyzac

or we could use the extra headroom and cram twice the processing power and crank up the GHz in the same power envelope :thumb:

Arinoth

Staff member
Great news to hear intel wants to keep another plant in north america.

On the note of more power, as we get smaller chips run into more connecting to the external pins issue that has been the cause of moving from going over 4Ghz stock and to multi-cores instead. I wont get too much into the technical issues, however i do hope they are addressed so we could see another big leap in speeds again.

S

Sylak

The limit is near, they said that at 5nm it's the limit, because the electron pass throught the transistor even if is not open. and at those size (those are the size of some atoms! )the quantum mechanic began is funny business. they will have to fine another way. Intel predict the limit will be reach in 2018.

U

Unregistered

USA!!!

way to go Intel. Keep work in America. Giving our production jobs to foreigners is and always will be a huge mistake, glad Intel hasn't made that one yet by sending it completely overseas like all the companies that a failing right now. It's funny, the companies that build here are doing good, like Intel and Ford, and the outsources are going under, love the irony of their decisions of saving money coming back and loosing them money. it may be cheaper to produce out of country but if there is no one to work here, who will buy the product. Intel way to go!!

hwguru

I remember hearing the CEO talk about how they wanted to keep production in the US to honor the fact that they are a US company, and even pay more than if they built it in China, i respect them for that.