What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Intel CPU with AMD integrated GPU might be a thing

Bond007

Obviously a rumour at this stage, but interesting none the less. At first I was confused by it, but really intel has almost caught up to AMD on the integrated front, so with only a minimal advantage to lose, this would potentially gain AMD precious market share. This could further push the amount of things optimised for AMD GPUs and aid in freesync market share as well.

As much as its a rumour, I can see the benefits for both companies.

https://www.techpowerup.com/230360/first-intel-processor-with-amd-radeon-graphics-within-2017

JJThomp

As much as Intel has caught up in the iGP game AMD is still pretty far ahead purely graphics wise. Also AMD doesn't have their newest graphics architecture in their APUs yet which will be a huge boost.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
Thought Intel was doing this to not have to pay Nvidia more then the 1.5 Billion in fees just for making graphics cores. Honestly though this is like Intel trying to support 2 diff things stick to CPUs they won't match dedicated GPU company in IPC on graphics unless and hands over Vega arch for Apus lol.

MARSTG

Yes there is no big secret that Intel paid AMD for some graphics solutions from the Radeon Technology Group.

Soultribunal

Staff member
This is done more to keep the Patent Lapdogs at bay than it is about putting either a nVidia or AMD GPU on an Intel CPU.

Both of those companies own a gauntlet of Patents.

-ST

MARSTG

But I was expecting Intel to receive, you know, schematics, not ready physical dies, so tat they could integrate in the chip themselves, not rather a separate add on die on a different manufacturing node. I guess the next generation will do that. And from this perspective it will make Intel CPUs very attractive at all levels for users that are not gamers.