What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Intel I218-V vs Killer E2201

BVickery

As I get ready to upgrade my system I'm looking over the parts in each MB and the big one for me rigth now is the onboard LAN.

I hear Asus tout Intel's while MSI and Gigabyte claim the Killer.

Question is, when it comes down to brass tacks, does it make a real difference?

Caldezar

I vote Intel... The 'Killer' suite of software is a giant PITY if you ask me. If I could keep everything about my system, but swap that single element out, I would in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, it's not worth switching from MSI to ASUS for me as the warranty support from ASUS is a horrible experience.

zoob

One thing I hate about the new Intel nics is that they aren't officially supported in Server 2012 R2. You have to modify the driver INF files to get it to install...

NOTE: The following devices do not have driver or software support for Windows Server 2012 R2:
- Intel® Ethernet Connection I217-V
- Intel® Ethernet Connection I218-V
- Intel® 82579V Gigabit Ethernet PHY
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=23073

How to mod the driver:
Enable the Intel I217-V NIC in Windows Server 2012 - www.ivobeerens.nl

AkG

The Killer NPU does have the potential to slightly decrease latency when compared against Intel's latest NPU designs...but unless you are willing to spend time using the Killer NICs software and are very OCD....the differences are not worth the effort. Both are good and it will be your ISP and / or server that cause bottlenecks long before your NPU does.

Sagath

Staff member
I vote Intel... The 'Killer' suite of software is a giant PITY if you ask me. If I could keep everything about my system, but swap that single element out, I would in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, it's not worth switching from MSI to ASUS for me as the warranty support from ASUS is a horrible experience.
it is very easy with some googling to find the killer INF and drivers without their garbage software. I have it that way on my MSI z87-gd65 gaming. :thumb:

Caldezar

it is very easy with some googling to find the killer INF and drivers without their garbage software. I have it that way on my MSI z87-gd65 gaming. :thumb:
This has been on my to-do list since I got the board. Unfortunately I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Twitter