What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Intel i9-7980XE & i9-7960X Performance Review Comment Thread

Lysrin

Good stuff. Expensive (understatement) but I guess that wasn't unexpected. That is a little better performance over Threadripper than I was expecting.

Forum note: I see 14 replies currently on the article post but can't see any of them. When I click from the "New Posts" page it just keeps taking me directly to the review. Could the replies be moved over here perhaps?

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Good stuff. Expensive (understatement) but I guess that wasn't unexpected. That is a little better performance over Threadripper than I was expecting.

Forum note: I see 14 replies currently on the article post but can't see any of them. When I click from the "New Posts" page it just keeps taking me directly to the review. Could the replies be moved over here perhaps?

The ‘forum posts’ thing isnt replies to the article. It’s the way the review and our forum somehow come up with pages in the article.

It’s strange I know but I’m not privy to the exact workings behind the scenes between the review side of the site, and the interface with the forums.

Master_Shake_

so for the price of a whole TR4 system plus some cash back you can buy a cpu that is twice the price but not twice the performance.

W2G intel.

Lysrin

The ‘forum posts’ thing isnt replies to the article. It’s the way the review and our forum somehow come up with pages in the article.

It’s strange I know but I’m not privy to the exact workings behind the scenes between the review side of the site, and the interface with the forums.

Ah OK thanks for that Sagath. I didn't realise that was what was happening there. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. I'm thinking this article may generate a decent amount of discussion or at least fireballs to throw at Intel for the price! :bleh:

SKYMTL makes the comment in conclusion that gamers should avoid this and similar high core count CPUs. I can certainly agree with that given the price. But isn't there any chance that we should be getting ready for games that want more cores? Star Citizen has stated that they will take advantage of up to 16 cores in the future. Single case I guess, but how far away from that being more the norm are we, and I guess are we far enough away right now that even Threadripper for the price doesn't make sense... yet?

I just wonder about it because my gaming PC is lasting many more years than it did in the old days. i7 920 system was chugging along for 5 years and was still decent when I upgraded to 4790K, I just wanted to upgrade! So if that is the case, is there an argument for getting more cores? Maybe there is but the argument for Coffee Lake or similar with their 6-8 physical cores really is the more reasonable next step, as SKYMTL pointed out.

AkG

Ah OK thanks for that Sagath. I didn't realise that was what was happening there. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. I'm thinking this article may generate a decent amount of discussion or at least fireballs to throw at Intel for the price! :bleh:

SKYMTL makes the comment in conclusion that gamers should avoid this and similar high core count CPUs. I can certainly agree with that given the price. But isn't there any chance that we should be getting ready for games that want more cores? Star Citizen has stated that they will take advantage of up to 16 cores in the future. Single case I guess, but how far away from that being more the norm are we, and I guess are we far enough away right now that even Threadripper for the price doesn't make sense... yet?

I just wonder about it because my gaming PC is lasting many more years than it did in the old days. i7 920 system was chugging along for 5 years and was still decent when I upgraded to 4790K, I just wanted to upgrade! So if that is the case, is there an argument for getting more cores? Maybe there is but the argument for Coffee Lake or similar with their 6-8 physical cores really is the more reasonable next step, as SKYMTL pointed out.

My opinion on that is simple. Game makers have been promising to fully utilize multiple cores and yet here we are with only a few games that can max out 6C/12T. Most its 4 threads at best. As such I would recommend buying whatever is best for your needs now... as by the time these or AMD versions can take advantage of 12C/24T or better... a couple generations will have past. :ph34r:

Basically future proofing is all well and fine, but 'all things in moderation' is how I view it. Why spend a ton of money on a CPU you may never fully utilize when you can get a less expensive one you can use right now? YMMV :thumb:

Lysrin

Yeah I would agree with that AkG. I was kind of jazzed up about TR when it was on the horizon but in the end the utilization of the cores isn't there, as you said, and isn't likely coming for a couple years if I was being opptomistic. If the underlying architecture, i.e. the motherboard/chipset/features, weren't changing so quickly too then maybe there would be an argument for attempting to future proofing some. But if the CPUs keep requiring us to change motherboards every few years (or less) then you're absolutely right; why plunk down that much on something only to feel the itch to upgrade again in two years anyway?

This is kind of me talking through my next move. Part of me really wanted to enter the HEDT world but the reality is the next few sets of CPUs that aren't technically HEDT in the normal sense will be more than enough for the majority of what I do. Moving to one that is 6-8 physical cores will be upgrade enough, especially considering the 4790K is still no slouch.

You guys are always so responsible! You never talk me into spending more money! lol

FreeKnight

Review sums it up nicely. Great performance for power-content creators. Grotesquely overpriced for anyone else (IMO).

It's a shame intel can't get their PCIe lane shit together in the Z series where more gamers are interested in multi-gpu setups with a possible PCIe SSD.

And like AkG said, there's still an issue of core/thread usage with gaming that doesn't benefit too many cores. I don't expect this will change in the next 5+ years. With development being very console orientated for most games, they're just not going to build the software for 6, 8, 12 cores to be useful when a PS4/Xbox One will never take advantage of it.

Lysrin

Review sums it up nicely. Great performance for power-content creators. Grotesquely overpriced for anyone else (IMO).

It's a shame intel can't get their PCIe lane shit together in the Z series where more gamers are interested in multi-gpu setups with a possible PCIe SSD.

And like AkG said, there's still an issue of core/thread usage with gaming that doesn't benefit too many cores. I don't expect this will change in the next 5+ years. With development being very console orientated for most games, they're just not going to build the software for 6, 8, 12 cores to be useful when a PS4/Xbox One will never take advantage of it.

Interestingly though I do believe both of those consoles are 8 core systems (two quad-core modules)... So your statement might actually support us having 6 or 8 in the PC world. Hyperthreading aside of course.

Latest posts