What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Intel i9-9980XE Performance Review Comment Thread

FreeKnight

Another brutally priced new release this tech cycle and another reason for me to hold onto the current system. Admittedly this isn't really a 'gaming' CPU and is overkill for that, but I can't help but think intel's losing sales from the stream of refreshes that are making enthusiasts think 'meh, why bother'.

Hopefully the Zen 2 series keeps up the competitive pressure on intel at least.

Lysrin

Cool. So, no changes other than Intel is overclocking it for you. Laaaa-deeeee-daaaa :bananafunky:
I always wondered how to spell that! :haha:

I think this statement is pretty telling for perspective, from the summary (bold added):

"Meanwhile, the 2950X is an extremely capable processor in its own right and it happens to cost a whopping $1,100 less than the i9-9980XE. For those keeping track at home, you can buy a 2950X, an X399 motherboard and a GTX 2080 for the price of a single 9980XE. X399 is arguably a more capable platform as well."

:shok: I mean given that, it has to be a bit hard for even the HEDT enthusiast crowd to shell out the money for Intel this time around, and still at 14nm.

Of course, thanks for the hard work on the reviews, again SKYMTL. It's a tonne of effort and must be challenging in this current refresh cycle. Except for the shear love of playing with new tech of course!

Mr. Friendly

heh, guess I missed that when I browsed the summary.

never-the-less, the CPU needs to be overclocked so people can see what the CPU and platform is capable of and how power hungry it gets.

FreeKnight

heh, guess I missed that when I browsed the summary.

never-the-less, the CPU needs to be overclocked so people can see what the CPU and platform is capable of and how power hungry it gets.
Gamers Nexus' review talks bout overclocking. I only gave it a quick view, but it sounds like it just doesn't have the thermal headroom to accomplish much.

"The 9980XE is running out of thermal runway before it can actually stretch its legs."

YT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3PJ7prehVQ
Article : https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3392-intel-i9-9980xe-review-disappointing-overclocker-but-good-when-stock

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
The real issue isn't the thermal room of the processor. GN is wrong about that. It is the motherboard VRMs which hit throttle temperature WAY quicker than the CPU.

I'm actually going to be popping this CPU into an ITX system in a few days. Gonna be really interesting with both air and liquid cooling. I can almost promise you that air cooling will result in more stable speeds due to airflow over the VRMs.

Latest posts

Twitter