What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Intel Skylake Non-K Overclocking BIOSes Pulled (Comment Thread)

superj

This stinks. Cheap OC in the past actually made me buy a lot more CPUs. I've only bought one high end CPU since the lockdown (3570k). I think Intel would have a lot more of my dollars since Sandybridge if they allowed some sort of OC on cheaper chips.

But, I do have a z170x-UD3 with an OC bios and i3 6100.:thumb:

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
I'm not surprised, but am a bit disappointed for reasons other than the few dollars folks could save on non -K procs....

I was more interested in the fact that this had the potential to return the feeling of tinkering with the black arts back when overclocking as opposed to the current day "bump the multi and voltage until it stops working" state of things.

lowfat

Staff member
As soon as I heard this I decided to buy a Skylake system before it was too late. Had the bios downloaded before I even pulled the trigger on the board.

Dzzope

Anyone with one of these boards should be relatively happy that unless there is a major thing they need a bios update for they should never lose the ability to OC.

Or better as said above... just have a downloaded bios for the boards.. am sure it'll be easy enough to get hands on.

superj

This...
I was more interested in the fact that this had the potential to return the feeling of tinkering with the black arts back when overclocking as opposed to the current day "bump the multi and voltage until it stops working" state of things.
Agree, OC became less interesting with unlocked multipliers rather than freq and tweaks. Intel really killed the enthusiast hobby side of it for me. I OC'd because it was fun more than I needed the performance. It seems like even the dual cores have enough for me these days even though a quad is nice.

sswilson

Staff member
As soon as I heard this I decided to buy a Skylake system before it was too late. Had the bios downloaded before I even pulled the trigger on the board.
Yeah, but hasn't Intel also been changing the OS microcode on non -K chips so that the older bios' won't work? I know there's typically a registry kludge or something similar to get around that, but would that be worth it to the 99% of folks who want easy OC options?

lowfat

Staff member
AFAIK the microcode would require a bios flash. Not sure a Windows update push will do anything.

The internet seems to think that people will be able to mod newer bioses w/ old cpu microcode and still maintain overclock-ability on locked Skylake CPUs.
EDIT: Maybe not.

Last edited:

sweenytodd

It's either raise the price of these locked cpus or disable BLCK overclocking. Intel are afraid of losing K processors sales.

Twitter