What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Intel Stock heatsink got stuck on the mainboard

Chilly

I found some recently just sitting on the counter at a Shoppers Drug Mart. I don't understand what this whole "impossible to find" situation is, as I see it all the time simply ON the counter, not under it. It may simply be a location based thing, I have no issue finding 99% in the GTA area.

Eagle Eye

Same with me Chilly found it at the shoppers drugmart at the toronto life sqaure (dundas and yonge) bottom floor if anyone is interested. It sure isn't cheap though 5.49 a bottle I picked up 2 reluctantly but its a staple and cleans far better than 70%.

Its funny I get a simliar reaction when I ask for it, strange I really wouldn't know what else to use it for other than cleaning my computer stuff.

I think it is all about location especially in certain parts of Toronto where drugs are a problem I've been told in some pharmacy's they stopped selling it because to many people were stealing it.

Sad we live in such a world...:blarg:

EE

Alwaysrun

I'm a diabetic so I usually have plenty of alcohol swabs around and some are 99% alcohol. They are dirt cheap at $2-3 for a box of 100 individually packaged squares. Surgical quality and ohh so easy to use and toss after. Just ask at the pharmacy as they don't have them on shelves and they're non-prescription.

appplejack

Alright. Thanks guys. I'll get 99% isopropyl alcohol. But can I use regular tissue or cotton rag? Or do I also need to get fiber cloth that is completely free of ESD?

tzetsin

heh, let me tell you about ESD... Now first off, i dont want to be the one that tells you not to worry about it, then you end up frying your pc, BUT... in my experience, esd is something to be aware of, take necessary precautions of, but not obsess over... i simply cant count how many times i've stuck my fingers into my pc and had a 3 inch bolt of lighting shoot from my finger to my mainbord, or the same whenever i plug in a damn usb cable... and i've NEVER EVER had anything blow.. not once a single problem caused by esd in the 10 years i've been messing with computers. Now of course you should always ground yourself out "BEFORE" sticking your fingers anywhere near your mobo... but if you forget once... you'll probly be ok.

So to answer your Question, you can use papertowl, or a lint free rag, dont worry about esd. (other than taking the normal precautions.)

Xilikon

In Quebec City, it's also impossible to find 99% alcohol in drugstores. I managed to find some from a electronics parts store as a circuit board cleaner, exactly what I need. it cost me about 13$ for a 1L bottle which should last a good while.

I think it's location-based and demand-based as well. I don't think too much people ask for 99% alcohol bottles around here.

sswilson

Staff member
In Quebec City, it's also impossible to find 99% alcohol in drugstores. I managed to find some from a electronics parts store as a circuit board cleaner, exactly what I need. it cost me about 13$ for a 1L bottle which should last a good while.

I think it's location-based and demand-based as well. I don't think too much people ask for 99% alcohol bottles around here.

Not when Quebec Alchool is readily available. :)

Latest posts

Twitter