What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Intel talks Comet Lake U

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
I get the lower clock speeds and they don't bother me much as the CPU will go up n down according to need and it's only when you're doing something that requires sustained CPU output that you're going to run into thermal throttling or anything. most tasks will be completed in a few seconds because of the momentary turbo boost.

not that higher clock speeds aren't good/better...but I get and understand the apparent rationale for what they're doing. :)

Entz

True but it also means that Intel only guarantees that the 6 core will run at 1.1Ghz nothing more and in the ultra thin and lights it could be a disaster :(

Entz

See this is where Intel marketing wins... Base clocks = only guaranteed thing. Anything higher is a bonus and is a function of power limits and heat limits and manufactures have control of them. They can just as easily set the 6 core to tdp down and it will never turbo for more than a couple of microseconds and sit at 1.1..

JD

Staff member
See this is where Intel marketing wins... Base clocks = only guaranteed thing.
Yeah that's pretty crafty of them. Looks to be half the speed of the i7-8750h. That has a base clock of 2.2GHz and still 6c/12t, granted its a 35/45W TDP, which laptops don't even seem to be configured to adequately cool. Perhaps having the TDP down to 25W will mean they can cool them properly? But I'm guessing laptops will just become thinner/less fans/less heatsinks and thus still overheat the same as today.

Bond007

I'm not sure about that, as All Core Turbo is 3.9ghz for the 6 core i7.
See this is where Intel marketing wins... Base clocks = only guaranteed thing. Anything higher is a bonus and is a function of power limits and heat limits and manufactures have control of them. They can just as easily set the 6 core to tdp down and it will never turbo for more than a couple of microseconds and sit at 1.1..

Entz hit the nail on the head, and it is what I was referring to earlier. The all core turbo isn’t guaranteed...it’s whats possible. There is next to zero chance it can maintain anywhere near that at 15watts. Short term bursts would be it.

Check out some notebookcheck.net reviews of various laptops and you will see how much tdp limits/ temps can affect things. You can have an i5 outperforming an i7 in the same laptop, or or hex cores so crippled by heat that they down clock like crazy. It really is a mess and totally laptop dependant...almost more so than cpu dependant.

Entz

Yeah that's pretty crafty of them. Looks to be half the speed of the i7-8750h. That has a base clock of 2.2GHz and still 6c/12t, granted its a 35/45W TDP, which laptops don't even seem to be configured to adequately cool. Perhaps having the TDP down to 25W will mean they can cool them properly? But I'm guessing laptops will just become thinner/less fans/less heatsinks and thus still overheat the same as today.

Yeah I guess that would be an interesting test case. In a thin and light chassis with decent cooling (read Razor blade/XPS 15 etc) with the Comet Lake U set to 25w TDP-up would it actually beat a 8750/9750 since one could run at max vs one dropping to 3ghz.

Latest posts