What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Intel To Buy Capacity From GlobalFoundries?

Izerous

They talked about volume in the reticle but I think there is more to it than that. Intel still hasn't successfully produced smaller die sizes without serious problems. Maybe the move is to try and piggy back onto successful production lines instead of failing ones.

Entz

seems like a bad move. AMD, no fab's...Intel, lots of fabs.
GF was way behind TSMC and GF was hemorrhaging money and they likely needed the cash. Being Fabless isn't necessarily a bad thing, you get other people to pay the expense of setting up a node and you just use it. I am sure Intel has spent billions upon billions trying to get 10nm up and running. AMD just said "TSMC I will take whatever you can give me". Seems to be working for them, and Nvidia, heck even Apple (which could buy up TSMC with pocket change)

Mr. Friendly

aye...let's just hope none of the fabs that AMD relies on suddenly have constraints and squeeze them out. Intel is known to play dirty...the $5 Billion they got in damages is likely what saved AMD from going under.

Latest posts

Twitter