What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Intel vs. AMD: a comparison from high to low end

Babrbarossa

Here's a very comprehensive comparison of performance per dollar between Intel and correspondingly priced AMD cpus- Since AMD's Barcelonas aren't out yet, Intel clearly dominates the higher end in performance and energy consumption while in the lower end where the competition is more fierce, Intel enjoys overclocking and efficiency advantages. AMD plans more aggressive price cuts in early April which may tip the scales, but the deep-pocketed Intel will probably not take it sitting down. Hopefully the Barcelona will restore some balance in our world again :biggrin:

"I [SIZE=-1]SUPPOSE YOU COULD SAY[/SIZE] we've conducted plenty of CPU reviews in our time, but we just can't bring ourselves to slow things down. The release of Windows Vista and a round of price cuts by AMD prompted us to hatch a devious plan involving Vista, a new test suite full of multithreaded and 64-bit applications, fifteen different CPU configurations, and countless hours of lab testing. That plan has come to fruition in the form of a broad-based comparison of the latest processors from AMD and Intel, ranging from well under $200 to a cool grand, from two slow CPU cores to four fast ones, from the lowly Athlon 64 X2 4400+ and Core 2 Duo E6300 to the astounding Athlon 64 FX-74 and Core 2 Extreme QX6700. "

More from Tech Report

sswilson

Staff member
Hmmmmmm........

If the prices are stupidly lower than intel's I just might stick with an AM2 platform for my next upgrade. I've always been more interested in price/performance than actual top performance.... :)

ScytheNoire

i'm more interested in when things move to 45nm, then we'll see some real performance boosts. now that is when i'll upgrade.

Latest posts