What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Intel Xe Max Is Interesting

Mr. Friendly

now I haven't seen any reviews on it yet, but Passmark scores it at 3300 points, which is a full 33% faster than the 1030 GT.

what confuses me is the Vega 8 is coming up with a score just a hair over 1500 points. that seems wrong...?

anyhow, here's an impression of the Acer Swift 3X that's got the i7-1165G7 which runs the Xe Max. ZERO comments on the GPU performance tho...damn you Intel!

Mr. Friendly

the system with vega 8 has ram in dual channel ?
doesn't say, but reports the score is from over 5000 samples.

Passmark reports that the new RX 640 mobile GPU is about 20% faster than the UHD 620...but 1220 points still pales in comparison to the 3300 Xe Max benched. granted, Xe Max is Intel's BEST while the RX 640 isn't for AMD. the RX Vega 8 could be argued as the best, being it's the ONLY option on their mobile APU's.

so I hope this gives AMD a kick in the pants for the Ryzen 5000 flavored APU's...though all the leaks point to them also keeping the exact same RX Vega 8. :*(

Bond007

doesn't say, but reports the score is from over 5000 samples.

Passmark reports that the new RX 640 mobile GPU is about 20% faster than the UHD 620...but 1220 points still pales in comparison to the 3300 Xe Max benched. granted, Xe Max is Intel's BEST while the RX 640 isn't for AMD. the RX Vega 8 could be argued as the best, being it's the ONLY option on their mobile APU's.

so I hope this gives AMD a kick in the pants for the Ryzen 5000 flavored APU's...though all the leaks point to them also keeping the exact same RX Vega 8. :*(

From what I have seen in reviews of current integrated solutions, the bottleneck (in most games) appears to be memory bandwidth and not the GPU itself. So, IMO, until we get faster memory support (DDR5?) I don't think there is much gain to be had by putting more resources into the integrated GPU.

Obviously I am happy to be proven wrong with something like this, but it is my 2cents.

Mr. Friendly

From what I have seen in reviews of current integrated solutions, the bottleneck (in most games) appears to be memory bandwidth and not the GPU itself. So, IMO, until we get faster memory support (DDR5?) I don't think there is much gain to be had by putting more resources into the integrated GPU.

Obviously I am happy to be proven wrong with something like this, but it is my 2cents.
you do have a point, iGPU's are limited by the system memory type and speed and an article came out today discussing how Xe Max may be hindered by this as the discrete D3 model is using GDDR5:

...but, even with this apparent handicap, Xe Max is outperforming the other iGPU's by as much as 200% (RX Vega 8 @ 1500 points and Xe Max @ 3300 points) and the entry level 1030 GT by 33% (2200 points) on Passmark.

Izerous

Folding Team
Considering the history of intel GPUs to date I have a hard time believing that it is that good out the gate without some weird tradeoff. Is this going to be 3x more expensive (for the iGPU not the whole system), is it running a higher power draw. Or has iGPU manufacturing really just been that poor to date.

Mr. Friendly

Considering the history of intel GPUs to date I have a hard time believing that it is that good out the gate without some weird tradeoff. Is this going to be 3x more expensive (for the iGPU not the whole system), is it running a higher power draw. Or has iGPU manufacturing really just been that poor to date.
well...3x the cost is what happens living in Canada after the exchange rate. :p

The Swift 3 isn't a premium Acer line and I posted that article about how the Swift 3X refresh has Tiger Lake and Xe Max. just not one detail about the GPU in it.