What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Intel Xeon's Vulnerability Found

Izerous

Folding Team
it is one thing to see vulnerabilities on the desktop level I'm realistic enough to realize that nothing is truly fully secure but it is a little worse when these things are found at the server level considering the kind of uses these would normally be found in.

Someone gave me a lock picking set and a cheapo lock... wasn't even trying (since i had no clue what i was really doing) and had it open in about 10 seconds on the first try. Figured I'll go home and try the fancy high security master lock locks on the shed and about 20 seconds later had the shed open... So much for "high security". Someone knowing what they are doing would make it look like they sneezed and it opened.

Entz

I know slightly off topic but locks are ridiculous crappy in most cases. If you want to be worried watch LockPickingLawyer on youtube. Its child play for most. At best a deterrence not because its hard but because it takes more than 10s.

As for Intel, another day another vulnerability. This is horrible for VM cloud clusters like EC2, for the average internal only or properly protected server where ssh/GUI access wont be given. Not so much.

moocow

I wonder how this would impact ROME demand and pricing. People are already drooling at the cost / performance ratio and more Intel bugs doesn't help.

Off topic: after watching Law Picking Lawyer, I would not buy Master Lock in the future.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
I wonder how this would impact ROME demand and pricing. People are already drooling at the cost / performance ratio and more Intel bugs doesn't help.

Off topic: after watching Law Picking Lawyer, I would not buy Master Lock in the future.
Intel is on the hot seat because it's a dominant player. Once (more if than when) a new player takes the lead they'll be scrutinized a lot harder, and their own skeletons will likely start coming out of the closet.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan

it's interesting...I've got a friend who's looking to buy a Epyc 7262...8 cores / 16 thread, which according to Geekbench beats his E5-68XX v3 (14 cores / 28 threads) by up to 35% in single threaded tasks and 5% in multi-core. now I've read that Gb4 has issues with AMD CPU's, so not sure just how accurate a representation that is, but the Epyc does have a 33% stock clock benefit (3.2ghz vs 2.0ghz) and a 12% boost clock benefit (3.4ghz vs 3.0ghz). but if this has accuracy, it's quite impressive how almost half the threads in a modern CPU beats something that was so powerful back in the day.

Latest posts