What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Interference over 5Ghz

Mayoo

Hi all,

Please tell me if I understand this right. Bare with me while I explain the story.

I currently have a Cisco N router and I have the following connecting wirelessly to it :

• 1x Desktop Computer (G)
  • 2x Potential Laptops (One G, the other N)
  • 3x Cell phones (IPhone 3GS + 2x Nexus S)
  • 1x BluRay player
  • 1x TV (Stupid TV apps) <-- Currently disabled
  • 1x PS3
  • 1x Wii

I also have a wireless logitech keyboard and a logitech G700 near (2 others around 15 feets from there). My router is around 3 feets from me. Now here is my problem : The mouse is skipping even when putting channel 1, 6 or 11.

Now here is what I was wondering. I said to myself, hey, if the problem is that too much is going over 2.4Ghz, let's buy a 5Ghz router. Then I said to myself, WRONG, even if I buy a 5Ghz router, all my devices don't use dual bands thus everything will fly around on 2.4Ghz and I would have bought a router for nothing (except for that Cloud thing Cisco advertises).

Am I thinking correct?
Will moving the router further than 3 feets from me help out?
Will moving the USB connector closer to the mouse help out?
Will our cape crusaders get out in time? Find out tomorrow, same Bat-Time! Same Bat-Channel! :haha:

ZZLEE

RJ 45 wire fore desktop will help take stess of wirless card in the router ?

Mayoo

The desktop is rarely in use while I am using the mouse. The wired desktop is mine, the other is my GF's and is the one around 15 feets from the router.

Good point though.

sswilson

Staff member
What model is it? Is it a simultaneous dual band model, or just standard wireless "N"? Any wireless "G" device is only going to connect using the 2.4 G range (that's all they can do no matter what the router is capable of putting out), and if it's not a dual band + simultaneous router then it will default to G speeds (2.4G band) if a single "G" unit is connecting to it.

Bottom line though is that I think you misunderstand what devices are capable of connecting at the 5G band.... only wireless N devices will be able to do that, wireless G devices will always connect on the 2.4G spectrum.

Mayoo

The model is E1000

I might have not written my thought correctly but I understand this as you just described. The only thing is that the only device that uses N around here is my GF's laptop and maybe the disabled TV, I'll have to look. So in my case, if I get this right, I will still continue to mainly use the 2.4Ghz thus will still have the issues.

sswilson

Staff member
The model is E1000

I might have not written my thought correctly but I understand this as you just described. The only thing is that the only device that uses N around here is my GF's laptop and maybe the disabled TV, I'll have to look. So in my case, if I get this right, I will still continue to mainly use the 2.4Ghz thus will still have the issues.
I've got the E3000 which is their simultaneous dual band, I strongly suspect the E1000 is just a standard wireless "N" which means that even if your neighbour attempts to connect to it using a wireless G device it'll default down to 2.4 Ghz for all connections no matter how many wireless N devices you've got.