What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Internet cookies: help me out!

chouchou

Stupid telus. I'm very happy with the internet service im getting, 99% uptime at 5.2mb/s for 30$ a month after taxes. i'm quite happy with the plan im getting and am downloding on averate 500kb/s which is plenty for me.

trouble is i have a constant problem with torrenting. After i connect, and start a torrent download all my other internet activities will shutdown. firefox no longer responds, msn messeges take forever to reply

the torrent is still downloading though.
i searched google awhile and came up with the only logical reason being that the wireless gateway telus provided me (some shitty siemens one) cannot take the large amount of connections through utorrent (roughly 70 per torrent)

i have to reset the modem, and restart my computer before internet will come back.

so i have a couple questions: anything i can do to stop this from happening with my current rig/modem?
if not, how hard is it to obtain just a regular modem (not modem/gateway bundle) from telus?
aaaaaaand what is the best wireless G/N router available that wont put a dent in my wallet.. roughly ~100$ at the most

only for home use - and hopefully i wont sacrifice too much internet speed.

thanks!

postd over at ncix too :haha::thumb:

Bapadaboopy

i used to have that problem. i'd download a few torrents and my internet wouldn't work.. i'd end up resetting my router and modem. When i moved, i upgraded my router, and it hasn't happened since. So, like you said, it'll probably be the same thing. Now, can't you just plug a router into your existing modem? Do you have any wireless components? or is everything wired?

enaberif

He is with telus he can't use any other router.

You either download less or limit your upload; simple.

chouchou

as a matter of fact i can.
i called in, but it is another 40$ charge for just a modem with no gateway attached
from there i can connect the modem to a upgraded router of my own choice. should i do it?

3 of 7

I know what I'd do if it were me.
It is very annoying to have things come to a halt .

misterd

What modem / gateway do they use? I know with the Speedstreams that Bell Aliant gives out here East Coast, all you do is put the modem into bridge mode. That is done by holding in a reset button for 5 seconds on the bottom. Then you hook up your real router and put in your pppoe info and off you go.

mlauzon

Banned
I had the same thing happen with the laptop I used to own, it started about a week after I got 'Net access from Rogers -- cable -- and resetting my modem wouldn't work; but rebooting my computer did the trick. Since, my current computer cannot be used until I get the monitor I ordered from NCIX I have no way to tell if it was the modem screwing up or the onboard networking in the laptop.

Latest posts