What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Internet for Cheaper than Cheap.

justmehereajax

I live in a suburb where there is good infrastructure for Cable internet. Bell fibre as not reached here yet.

I am on CarryTel Cable internet for like $40 a month for 75/10 MBPS.

No problems so far. Plenty fast.

But in the city there are ads posted on electric poles with a 416 number from Mississauga, tooting cheaper internet because they are a vendor for Rogers.... I called

For the same internet 75/10 I can get it for $24.95. I want 300 / 500. 300 is like $32.99 and 500 is like $37.

Funny thing is that when I was asked them 2 weeks ago there was no activiation fee. I texted them again and now there is a $30 fee.

The modem is a Hitron CODA-4582 which is included, no contract, no cancellation fee, no install fee, no equipment fee.

Are these companies worth the trouble?

JD

Staff member
Is this just a field sales agent for Rogers? Kind of sounds like it but hard to say. If they're posting their number on phone poles, that's kind of sketchy. You can likely get a similar deal if you pop into a Rogers store or find one of their kiosks in a mall or (Asian) grocery store.

If it's their own "brand", well, there's a lot of subpar ones out there. If you don't mind slowness at times, then you'll find it fine.

Probably a time-limited deal too, likely 1 year.

justmehereajax

I will try New internet provider soon. I will try to go to a local rogers store and inquire. I want at least 300 mbps because my network at home is bad.

Still running fast Ethernet cables 100mbps in some parts. Ran out of gigabit cable. Need to buy some more...
I wont get the fastest because I wont be able to saturate it with what I am running.

Shadowmeph

I have been having issues with my provider but I think that it is a combination of shaw and this old building I live in . I have always used Shaw and I have always had issues . now I use Light speed but it is shaw subcontracted so the issues of disconnects are still here. when I first grabbed lightspeed I didn't realize that they where subcontracted from shaw until I was getting constant disconnections and they sent a person to check it out and that person was a shaw employee . he said that it was probably the wiring in this building which in this case makes sense since this building is old probably built 1970s also the area I live in is a small town.

Caldezar

That's a good deal! I just activated Shaw cable 300 for the new house and it's $43/month + $150 bill credit and no installation cost.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
it's nice you guys have options. up here in Prince Rupert here, there is only a private telecom that controls everything. fastest internet is 250MB/20MB for $100/m with that they call 'true unlimited bandwidth' that has a footnote talking about fair usage. :p

Cannon Fodder

I just activated Shaw cable 300 for the new house and it's $43/month + $150 bill credit and no installation cost.

And after their sign-up "deal" expires(2yrs., I'm assuming?), that'll be more than double the current monthly charge. (n):mad: So, out of curiosity, how do you end up getting it for $43/month? Their site shows the "2yr. Value Plan", on the 300 plan at $90/month.... :confused:

Caldezar

And after their sign-up "deal" expires(2yrs., I'm assuming?), that'll be more than double the current monthly charge. (n):mad: So, out of curiosity, how do you end up getting it for $43/month? Their site shows the "2yr. Value Plan", on the 300 plan at $90/month.... :confused:

I called them and said I was interested, and asked what deals they would be able to offer. Then I said I'd think about it. A week later they called me with a better deal and I said I'd think about it. Then a week later, I called them and asked for the best deal they could offer and that's when I got the $43.

Yes I signed a 2yr contract for the price. But I once the 2 years is up, it continues month to month at the same price.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
that's a good deal Cal...I'd have no issues signing a 2 year term for that either. Internet is a must have, so you're giving someone money no matter what, so being locked into a contract isn't a big deal for such a low price.

does show that if they can offer pricing like that though, we're really being ripped off. :(

alas, I have zero leverage...one telecom, so I can't threaten to go somewhere else to get better pricing :p

Cannon Fodder

I called them and said I was interested, and asked what deals they would be able to offer. Then I said I'd think about it. A week later they called me with a better deal and I said I'd think about it. Then a week later, I called them and asked for the best deal they could offer and that's when I got the $43.

Yes I signed a 2yr contract for the price. But I once the 2 years is up, it continues month to month at the same price.

WTF!!!!! o_O DAMN, already being a customer, I KNOW there's not a snowball's chance in hell they'd offer me that deal!!! 🤬 Guess you must've been talking to someone higher up the "chain of command", cuz it seems unlikely the 1st line folks would be authorized to offer that kind of deal.

Ok, you signed a contract for the 2yrs., so you know you're getting it for that price for that period of time, but I'd be SERIOUSLY skeptical about it continuing month to month at the same price, once the 2yrs. are done...... you got something in writing?

Seems like now I REALLY need to convince the wife we should switch to Lightspeed, and then call Shaw and talk to their retention dept., and see what they'll offer, and if it doesn't measure up, tell them "adios".

alas, I have zero leverage...one telecom, so I can't threaten to go somewhere else to get better pricing :p

I mentioned this in another thread, Friendly..... can't you get 'net access from a TPIA company, up there in P.R.? Could've sworn I've seen P.R. mentioned somewhere on Lightspeed's site, at some point in the recent past..... :unsure:

Latest posts