What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Internet problems

Lpfan4ever

Alright, as of yesterday I have been getting some REALLY slow internet speeds. My mom even asked if we changed to dial up, because it was that bad.
Here's my current setup:
Rogers Cable (Express, 6Mbit down, 512 up I believe)->Motorola Surfboard SB5101 Cable Modem -> D-Link DI 624 Ver. 1 -> Onboard Ethernet

Yesterday started getting really slow to load pages from the internet and I was unable to connect to anybody though the, erm, river as well. As of about 1:30 today, I lost my connection and spent half an hour on the phone with a Rogers tech to try to fix that. Eventually it connected again, and during testing, the Rogers guy was getting a mere 2% packet loss when pinging my router, but a 45% loss when pinging my PC (this was with a direct modem - PC connection) Maybe that's accouting to the slow loading pages, maybe it's something else, I don't know. (Which is why I'm trying here)
Suggestions? Ideas? Help:help:

enaberif

Take the router out of the situation.

If the problem persists then its a Roger issue.

Either that or you have some serious spyware/virus infestation.

chrisk

Folding Captain
I have been having issues with Rogers...boot Windows in safe mode with networking, while connected directly to your modem with no router as enaberif suggested. See how that works. If its good, then its software or router. Then, connect router, boot in safe mode w/networking, and try again.

Lpfan4ever

With or without the router it's the same thing in terms to packet loss. However, lately I've been getting about normal speed :ph34r:

Squeetard

"Quote This..."
Check your HOSTS file. you may have a spyware/viral problem directing you through another server or proxy. The tech should have clued on this and done a tracert to your comp.

Lpfan4ever

Check your HOSTS file. you may have a spyware/viral problem directing you through another server or proxy. The tech should have clued on this and done a tracert to your comp.
Que?
You'd have to tell me how to do this. My tracert attempts to different sites never lead me to the same place other than my router and ISP routers.

3 of 7

This may have had something to do with it.
International web services improve after cable cut

13 hours ago
PARIS (AFP) — A French ship on Saturday took experts to repair broken undersea Mediterranean cables that caused severe disruption to telephone and Internet services across the Middle East and Asia, France Telecom said.
AFP: International web services improve after cable cut

Lpfan4ever

I'm not sure why exactly, but I have been back up to full speed since around 3:30. Weird stuff.

3 of 7

I was reading one news story that said they lost 5 main optic lines and were re-routing traffic through north america.. I'm thinking that's probably when you were getting slow connections, mine kinda sucked then too.

Lpfan4ever

But why Rogers. They wouldn't be much help, they aren't very good for their internet services :bleh:

Latest posts