What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

IPad 2 Chinese handwriting

moocow

Can anyone confirm that the IPad2 can accept handwriting using finger as text input. My don't really like the traditional laptop & desktop so my siblings and I thought about getting her an IPad2. Basically, she should be able to handwrite Chinese words into the browser's search bar, write notes and emails.

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
It does but good luck using it. IMO, the surface isn't responsive enough for the fine-grain detail of Chinese hand writing. Even the different stylus designs available all have overly large nubs.

You can however buy an app which will switch the keyboard into different non-QWERTY layouts, including Chinese.

ilya

My mom has no major issues with traditional Chinese writing on her Ipad2. The surface isn't responsive enough to get the words right every time, but the software is smart enough to make good guesses. I would imagine it would be even better for simplified Chinese.

SneakySnake

Yes, it is a second keyboard that's available literally everywhere where you use the keyboard. Just set it to your default one, or have it setup as an international keyboard, and you'll see a little globe button in the corner of the qwerty keyboard that will switch to the handwriting one.