What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

iPad networking issue

N.V.M.

i have a new Linksys wireless router(wrt160nl) and it has a data storage feature which i've hooked up my external USB HDD to(500GB MyBook).

the external hard drive connects directly to the router, so whatever i store on the drive i can access even with my desktop PC turned off using my laptop,(wirelessly). or if my g/f's machine is on, i can just view files i need without having to turn my PC on. i guess you could say the drive is virtually acting as a server, in a way.

anyways, question is, can i get my iPad to see the external drive. the way the drive is networked is by mapping to it, but damn if i can figure out how to get the iPad to do this.

Last edited:

enaberif

Unless you plan to jailbreak that I really doubt you'll be able to.

The only way a "mac" can see Windows shares is using Samba and I have a feeling a ipad does not have that capability to it.

N.V.M.

yah, i kinda knew that but i just want to see jpegs on my external HDD. there's an app where i can do a remote desktop to my PC from my iPad, called WinAdmin, but it's not exactly what i'm looking for.

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
If you're desperate, you could always set yourself up with an FTP.

Otherwise, you could try AirSharing. My girlfriend uses it and says it works quite well but I am not sure if it is compatible with Windows since our "family" NAS is attached to a Mac.

Latest posts