What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Iron Wolf Pro 16tb or Exos 18tb?

Shadowarez

Folding Team
i know this should be pretty straight forward but thought id inquire here i got my first ironwolf pro for my nas project at $649 but now it seems to have gone up to $749. i found a place i can get Exos 18tb for cheaper like $200 cheaper. should i just switch out and take the exos for this project all drives are new and have warrentys till 2024?

Shadowarez

Folding Team
ok then ill see if the guy will let me buy 9 of these as i think ill have 8 in the case then when its done the full parity setup ill pull a drive add the other so its cleared and ready then put other back. its odd that i can get them for roughly $550 yet the 16tb are nearing $800 mark,

one more thing is there a different drive in exos lineup? i see they have different labels and one has a 512e in the name.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
learned something new lol checking this.

512(E) Emulated
512(N) Native
4K (AF) Advanced Format

ill grab the 4K ones as that'll be the newer standard for these.

anabioz

Shadowarez

Folding Team
Thank you i had to do this with my Rocket + nvme they were 512 default i converted surprisingly in bios it had a option inside the bios.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
so i found a vendor in states im about to pull the trigger 9 18tb hdds new factory warranty's intact only thing is $5000+ import fees and shipping tipped the order from $4640.99 to $5100 he has a option to make a offer i was thinking of making a offer that brings this just under $5k with fees but i had a sudden tinge of is this fair. only reason i wanna keep it under 5k is the limit on my card. is this moral or am i overthinking it?

Cptn Vortex

Which NAS? FYI Synology NAS recommends 4kn and 512e to run in different volumes:

"
  • Always use and manage 4K native (4Kn) hard drives separately.
    4Kn hard drives are supported from DSM 5.1-5021. Use 4Kn hard drives separately from hard drives in other disk sector formats when creating, repairing, expanding and migrating any volume, disk group, RAID group and LUN."