What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

is 3dfx about to rise from the ashes?

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan

a twitter post saying their return is imminent...but, the account has no credit its name, so this could be a hoax.

Bond007

Agree. Nvidia completely bought out 3dfx.

EDIT: I was wrong. Nvidia bought out pretty much all the assets/IP, but not the company. So that makes it possible to return….though I still have doubts. Not sure what they could have rising from bankruptcy with no IP.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
Voodoo 2 Banshee was the shiz till you got lucky and your one computer store somehow got a voodoo 5 5500-6000 agp then you were the 1 person in town to own beastly rig.

Herne

We used to have an ATI gpu and a 3dfx gpu in the same machine. One for opengl and one for glide.

Those were the days.
Used to run a store. Within a month we all did, and soon after many many of our customers did.

sswilson

Staff member
We used to have an ATI gpu and a 3dfx gpu in the same machine. One for opengl and one for glide.

Those were the days.

Heh.... I did something similar for audio cards back in the day. 2 Different cards covering different audio formats.

T'was a PITA though.... that was before plug-n-play was a thing so IRQ conflicts had to be dealt with. Had to install one card to do drivers (and set resource allocations) and then physically remove it to install the second card + partial drivers for it. (There was a very specific order that things had to be done in).

IIRC it was a gravis ultrasound card as the main one, with some kind of generic creative based card as the secondary.

Soultribunal

Staff member
Heh.... I did something similar for audio cards back in the day. 2 Different cards covering different audio formats.

T'was a PITA though.... that was before plug-n-play was a thing so IRQ conflicts had to be dealt with. Had to install one card to do drivers (and set resource allocations) and then physically remove it to install the second card + partial drivers for it. (There was a very specific order that things had to be done in).

IIRC it was a gravis ultrasound card as the main one, with some kind of generic creative based card as the secondary.

Oh my god. The Old IRQ Conflicts. I almost thought I was over the PTSD of that , and then your brought it back up.

I remember the old ISA slots with Graphics card(s) because of the new 3dfX, multiple sound cards etc.

The good old days.

-ST

moocow

This is turning into old man reminiscing about IRQ conflict. Yes I too remember having a Voodoo card and mucking around IRQ settings with sound cards. Sounds like this is another Atari VCS thing? Some kind of Crypto and NFT and so weird hardware that no one will buy?

Latest posts