What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Is 400 RPM more worth 5$

danmitch1

Im looking at getting a better 80mm fan or 2 for the back grill of my PC-011 Dynamic lian li case.

Basically every where I look online they rave about the Noctua NF-A8 .

Its ugly as fk ..

Then I found the Noctua NF-R8 redux-1800.
Its 5$ less and 100% nicer looking but has 400 RPM less and only 3pin voltage control..

Is the NF-A8 really going to move that much more air than the R8 while making my case look like sht?

Im planning on having it filtered, so maybe the NF-R8 wont be so great?
But then again, I can fit 2 back there...

Thoughts ?

Edit: lol, I could do something like this or This

Last edited:

Cptn Vortex

I'd run the slower/cheaper one. At 2200rpm the A8 is going to be quite loud, you'd probably end up slowing it down anyway. Also with a pretty case like that, get the Black/grey ones...

sswilson

Staff member
There's more going on between those two fans than just a difference in RPM so it would be hard to make a recommendation based solely on comparing the specs.

That said.... I suspect my experience with various different corsair fans matches the experience for most folks over a wide range of fans.... fans start getting noticably louder (without much in the way of performance increases) once you get above 1300 - 1500 RPM so no matter what the max RPM of your fan is, you're probably going to want to keep it at/below those levels unless you're doing extreme benchmarking.

Izerous

Since your only doing general airflow 1800 maybe even with the LNA that comes with a lot of Noctua fans and forget about it. General case airflow often doesn't need to be that aggressive just needs to help move things along.

danmitch1

Also with a pretty case like that, get the Black/grey ones...
Exactly my thoughts!

There's more going on between those two fans than just a difference in RPM so it would be hard to make a recommendation based solely on comparing the specs.

That said.... I suspect my experience with various different corsair fans matches the experience for most folks over a wide range of fans.... fans start getting noticably louder (without much in the way of performance increases) once you get above 1300 - 1500 RPM so no matter what the max RPM of your fan is, you're probably going to want to keep it at/below those levels unless you're doing extreme benchmarking.
Yeah, from what I see the A8 comes with a bunch of accessories. Also has some fancy frame design.
Im also guessing the A8 will last longer...

So I guess the question should be, does 1800 rpm's on the R8 move the same amount of air that 1800 rpm's would on the A8 and does the 5$ and ugliness make it worthwhile .

Since your only doing general airflow 1800 maybe even with the LNA that comes with a lot of Noctua fans and forget about it. General case airflow often doesn't need to be that aggressive just needs to help move things along.
but filtered fans do need some extra guts no? Also its just to introduce a bit of fresh air into the area in front of the vrms and nvme heatsinks