What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Is anybody still "overclocking" their monitors?

sswilson

Staff member
Finally got around to doing a quick check on the 32" 75hz portrait mode monitor I use and it gave me an out of range error @ 85hz so unless there are other settings I should be attempting to adjust (there are advanced options in the AMD panel) it looks like it's not going to work for me on the monitor I was most interested in trying it on.

As I said initially.... I wouldn't be surprised if these 75hz panels are essentially 60hz panels making use of typical overhead.

edit: 80hz didn't work either.

Izerous

Folding Team
Last time I overclocked a monitor it was a higher end Dell CRT (with flat glass)

mGz

I haven't tried overclocking my aw3418 yet, and I'm aware the monitor is capable of overclocking to 120hz. I'm a little concerned because I've heard so many horror stories of permanent flickering associated with bumping the refresh rates. Once LG has their 42" OLED's available in-stores I'll just yolo and report with the results.

FreeKnight

I haven't tried overclocking my aw3418 yet, and I'm aware the monitor is capable of overclocking to 120hz. I'm a little concerned because I've heard so many horror stories of permanent flickering associated with bumping the refresh rates. Once LG has their 42" OLED's available in-stores I'll just yolo and report with the results.
The AW3418 models should actually be able to do 120hz without overclocking IIRC. They're supposed to support it natively, just change the display settings in windows or your GPU control center.

I can't remember for sure if 144hz is technically overclocking on them, or if that's still 'supported'. I think 120hz was the spec limit, but I'd have to look up the documentation.

sswilson

Staff member
According to the amazon.ca write-up it's supposed to do 144 natively, however that might need to be enabled in the monitor's settings. (My ASUS calls is "overclocking" in the monitor's menu so that might scare a few folks away).

Latest posts

Twitter