What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Is it my GPU or MB?

Birk

So Just put my water block on my Impact and now having an odd issue.

I have my 6950 GPU on the board and it worked prior to putting the block on.

This GPU has been in and out of a lot of systems and not greatly taken care of so I'm really hoping its that.

So here is whats happening.

With GPU installed, No post but power up. If I unplug either of the 6 pic PCI-E power cords there is a loud continuous beep which seems like it would be a good thing.

If I remove the GPU from the pci-e slot and use onboard it boots no problem.

Any ideas? I might have access to another GPU to test the pcie slot but hoping there are other ideas.

Birk

It's not under warranty but i'm okay with that, if its toast im not concerned, I'd rather it NOT be my brand new ROG board thats dead lol. Gunna try and nap an older GPU off a buddy to toss on it and see what happens.

frontier204

I'm thinking GPU as well; another thing you can test is put the GPU in the other PCI-E slot of your motherboard (even the X4 is fine for testing) and see what happens.

Birk

I was thinking of testing the card but its in the WC loop at the moment and on an ITX board so only one slot. BLAH haha. I could drain the loop and toss it on the other motherboard.

ZZLEE

Try BIOS Settings if its similar to my P8Z77-I Deluxe

On the the first screen of the dummy BIOS there are some settings ( use on-board, use discrete )

Birk

sounds like the water block might be shorting out on the card. Hopefully it's not fried.

I was thinking that but I don't think, This waterblock has been on this card for like 3 years without being changed or tightened or anything. I can RMA the motherboard if need be and I'm not too upset about buying a new GPU to upgrade from the 6950.

Birk

Thats kinda what I'm doing, I can move the card enough to clear the pcie slot to slip another one in, i just dont have one right now so borrowing a friends old card tomorrow that we know works.

Latest posts