What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

is my cable box causing Internet problems?

Shadowmeph

Has anyone ever heard or experienced Internet disconnections because of a faulty cable that connects from a splitter to the cable TV box ( not the modem)

over the past year I have been having issues with my Internet, it is cable Internet ( subcontracted from shaw) today I was moving things around with my cable TV on and my PC on when i moved something that moved the cable box which caused the signal to my TV to freeze for a few seconds I kept moving things around and discovered that the cable from the splitter to the cable box was faulty as I walked pass my PC I noticed that my Internet disconnected , I reset the cable modem and Internet reconnected . I then went back to the cable box wiggle the faulty cable a little more the signal to my TV froze again I kept wiggling the cable for another 30 seconds then went back to PC the Internet was disconnected . I replaced the faulty cable to the cable box Internet is now connected I am just wondering if it is just coincidence because my Internet sometimes does disconnect then reconnect this way.

Sagath

Staff member
Whenever a doubt arises with troubleshooting a problem you should always try to direct connect devices with the minimum number of anything. For example: Networking problems? Remove your router (when possible) and plug directly from modem to machine. Same goes with troubleshooting hardware PC faults, the absolute minimum required to see the bios: GPU/mobo/CPU/1xram.

I'd definitely remove the splitter and plug your main line in to your modem to ensure its not the secondary line or (more likely) a shoddy splitter.

Shadowmeph

I just connected directly to the wall lol debating on just connecting my PC to the modem problem is I have raspi3 that I use to access my PC for shows not really to sure as to how I can do this unless there ius a way to conect my PC to my router Via USB or something . this modem blew a cap which I replaced a while back wondering if maybe it is the router acting up grrr on the modem when I disconnect it shows US ( I am thinking upstream ) problems

Error 403 Daily Limit Exceeded. The quota will be reset at midnight Pacific Time (PT). You may monitor your quota usage and adjust limits in the API Console: https://console.developers.google.com/apis/api/youtube.googleapis.com/quotas?project=345236864347 : dailyLimitExceeded

Latest posts

Twitter