What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Is my GPU dying?

hempfed

Hi,

Haven't posted in awhile, my rig has been running smoothly up until several days ago. Things started acting up on the evening of March 20th, couldn't do a system restore since it said there were no points. The system crashed while playing the Witcher 3, black screen with looping sound. Then again a couple more times. I've tried using DDU to uninstall the display driver then re-install, a few different releases now, the latest driver as well as old ones.

I've been getting all sorts of crashes. Whenever I run a game it will crash. Just browsing the desktop the monitor will randomly go black for 5 seconds then come back with the green 'DVI' box in the bottom right corner. With the way Nvidia's drivers are it's hard to if I have hardware problem or what is really going on...

I'm getting these errors, not sure if anyone knows what the likely cause is. Can't seem to find much from searching. Thanks for any help.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
System Information (local)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer name: GAMING-PC
Windows version: Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 14393
Windows dir: C:\WINDOWS
Hardware: MS-7693, MSI, 970 GAMING (MS-7693)
CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor AMD586, level: 21
8 logical processors, active mask: 255
RAM: 17125642240 bytes total

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Thu 3/23/2017 11:21:51 AM your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\032317-13218-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: watchdog.sys (watchdog+0x34AE)
Bugcheck code: 0x119 (0x2, 0xFFFFFFFFC000000D, 0xFFFFCC816DC44960, 0xFFFF9406D04684A0)
Error: VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\watchdog.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Watchdog Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that the video scheduler has detected a fatal violation.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Thu 3/23/2017 11:21:51 AM your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: watchdog.sys (watchdog!WdLogEvent5_WdCriticalError+0xCE)
Bugcheck code: 0x119 (0x2, 0xFFFFFFFFC000000D, 0xFFFFCC816DC44960, 0xFFFF9406D04684A0)
Error: VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\watchdog.sys
description: Watchdog Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that the video scheduler has detected a fatal violation.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 3/22/2017 9:54:08 PM your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\032217-13171-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x14E7C0)
Bugcheck code: 0x133 (0x1, 0x1E00, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: The DPC watchdog detected a prolonged run time at an IRQL of DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This problem might also be caused because of overheating (thermal issue).
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 3/21/2017 10:09:46 PM your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\032117-13125-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x14E7C0)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0x0, 0xFFFFBE0199F2A420, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

Dragonstongue

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff557275(v=vs.85).aspx
How To Fix DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION Blue Screen Errors (0x00000133)
The OverClockers BSOD code list

3 very different BSOD codes there, could be pushing an overclock too hard or not enough voltage/improper settings to allow speed like to run, obviously if running completely stock speeds on cpu-gpu-ram etc this may not apply, I would double check make sure things are set proper like, modern systems especially very finicky to be set just right or auto-error kick in sometimes to point instant power off like someone pulled cord out of wall, are temperatures where they should be, cause this as well can cause what should be stable to become unstable which will hang system and/or cause reset of cpu or graphics which can cause lock up instead of on the fly fix.

hempfed

I checked temps, they seem to be in range. I'm not sure what is right now. I've used the windows reset feature to re-install windows, but I'm still getting random crashes and black screens. After powering down the PC yesterday it kept blinking back on every millisecond or so, every second for about 10 seconds. By blinking back on I mean it kept going back to being on, with the leds lit and fans spinning. :doh:

The black screens are caused by nvlddmkm.sys not responding, which is a pretty common problem, but I'm getting other problems too.

The crashes happen randomly. I ran a benchmark in Heaven, the GPU went up to 70c, no crash after 30 minutes. I ran a game for hours then it started crashing, 3 times in the same hour or so. Crashes have also occurred while just browsing Firefox.

hempfed

No, I was thinking of getting one.

Last night when I shut it off it did the blinking thing with the fans, I flicked the switch on the back of the power supply and it stopped shortly after. Then this morning it wouldn't even turn on, when I switched the power supply on it just went back to blinking. Even if I switched the power supply switch off it would keep blinking if the power cord was plugged in. The power button on the case did nothing.

So I booted up my other PC and started looking for more solutions online. I got the idea to discharge it by holding down the power button for at least 30 seconds. I also re-seated my 24 pin and 8 pin connectors to the motherboard. After that it booted up fine, it's running right now. But I'm confused as to why it was not before, if it was just built up power that needed to discharge? I've never had this happen before on a PC.

moocow

No, you shouldn't have to discharge anything by disconnecting the power cord and holding down the power button unless you're working on your computer. It could be anything at this point:

1. Faulty PSU
2. Faulty front panel
3. Faulty motherboard

Right now, I would wait and see if resetting the power cables helped. How much power does the other PC have? You could just swap the power supply and see if the same behavior is occurring.

sswilson

Staff member
It's possible that you only needed a reseat of the power connectors. Sometimes you'll get an intermittently bad contact that only rears it's head under higher internal case heat and/or heat induced by current flow. Reseating the power connectors provides a fresh mating of the pin & socket.

If the issue doesn't return you're golden, if it does return my first guess would be that your PSU is on it's way out.

Latest posts