What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

is Peltier or TEC cooling still a thing for PC's

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
I remember there was a lot of talk about TEC in the mid-2000's on NCIX when discussing cooling options for the P4 and Athlon XP.

is it still a thing now? anyone produce products for use? you don't really hear about them in any cooling reviews or included in benchmarks

enaberif

No not really. Coolit was really the only group to do it well but it was so niche and crazy expensive nobody bought into it

Watercooling does a fine job compared to tec.

I had a 2500k on a Coolit setup running idle around 17-18 degrees

lowfat

Staff member
Intel CPUs don't really scale w/ cooling no more. Ever since Sandy Bridge, extreme forms of cooling really have no benefit except for short runs w/ ridiculous amounts of voltages.

Plus then there is also the power draw, you'd need at least a 150W TEC to cool a 8700K to keep it around ambient temperature. That would be about 225W of power draw. That is a pretty hefty amount of power to be drawing @ all times.

KaptCrunch

Lowfat pretty much summed it up, even with phase change cooling lost its lustre due to hydro bill end of the month

enaberif

No it hasn't been relevant or discussed for a while. It never caught on and remained a niche market even from custom builders. It had serious drawbacks and modern architectures do not need it for exotic overclocking.

Coolit was the big industry leader for consumers. The problem was it was crazy stupid expensive like $400 for a unit

Coolit is based in Calgary and is still around but now is more in the AIO industry for water coolers

AkG

CoolIT is who makes SOME of the Corsair Hydro AIOs (they are the ODM for 'em). They dont sell to us little guys anymore... as they have a 'partnership' with Corsair... aka Corsair owns their output, and return CoolIT got to stay in business.

Soultribunal

Staff member
I personally have preferred Coolit's retention system on the AIO to the 'ring of doom' from Asetek. It was always finicky for me, where as the magnetically attached square on the Coolit Designs was leaps and bounds better.

-ST

Latest posts