What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Is the 3300X not getting the press it deserves?

draemn

I stared looking into the 3300X after good things being said on this site. Looking into benchmarks, the 3300X holds up toe to toe against the 3900X and 9900K, with a 10% performance loss in some games, but same or better performance in others. Yes, there are non gaming tasks that these other CPUs do insanely better at, but for those of us who just brows the internet and play games, it seems like a no brainer to use the 3300X over anything else on the market (unless you just like bragging rights). Anything I can find right now for "best gaming CPU of 2020" tends to focus on the $300 or $500 (USD) CPU segment for gaming builds with only a few of them even suggesting the 3300X for budget gaming builds.

It seems like a general problem with sites to suggest products based on price categories over performance and price.

Thoughts?

MARSTG

Probably is like that because the cpu is so new on the market and hasn't been tested extensively. Once that is done I am sure the opinions and recommendations will change.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
I think there are lots of people that know how good it is and are saying so. It's an incredible processor for the dollar value. I'm currently using one to build up a new PC for a family friend.

Bond007

I honestly think it got lots of good reviews (every one I have seen). But a processor like that is never going to grab headlines...that is usually just high end versions.

draemn

I think my bigger issue is this idea that a gaming computer should have a $300 (USD) CPU because it is a gaming computer. It's like always driving a high end sports car in the city at the speed limit. Sure, every now and again it's awesome to be like "SEE HOW FAST IT ACCELERATED to 50 km/h!" but then you drive at 50 km/h.

I'm not saying there aren't good reviews, but most reviews look at it like "oh, it's great for the price point it's sold at and we won't compare it to a CPU that's 2-4x more expensive because that's totally not how building a PC works."

moocow

Which specific reviewers are you referring to? At least the more trustworthy (IMO anyway) ones are clearly showing the 3300X is on par with 3700X in games. They are also recommending it as a budget gaming CPU. However, the B550 mobo pricing is still a factor and since it's still not available for a while, may be this is the reason they are holding off on recommending it? Hardware Unbox had a video on the B550 pricing which is butting up against the cheaper / crappier X570.

draemn

Type into google "best gaming cpu 2020" and the majority of the results. Anandtech, tomshardware, pcgamer, gamesradar, etc.

I'm not saying benchmarks aren't showing the 3300X has great performance, I'm complaining that the recommendations for gaming CPUs tends to be like "oh, this CPU is a budget CPU for budget gaming" and are giving more weight to price categories and overall performance instead of gaming performance.

Not sure why B550 would be a deciding factor? You can drop it in B450 or X570 right now, or even older generations.

lowfat

Staff member
I'd say its unlikely any B450 is going to support the 3300x without a bios flash. So unless the board has bios flashback ability over usb, its not going to work.

Pretty much all the major YouTube hardware channels show the 3300x as being the best gaming budget CPU, including HWC.

EDIT: I may be wrong about the compatibility w/ B450. I just looked at my board, and it shows it has supported the 3300x since July last year.

moocow

Fair point. But I notice this line in the Anandtech article: <quote>AMD lists the 3300X as a $120 processor; however it’s only available for $200, making it less than a viable option. </quote>

So there's some kind of market pricing consideration in their article. However, I'm more concern that they would even bother with the old i3-9100F. R5-1600 AF is on the low end for gaming and performs lower than 3300X but if you need to run a basic VM in the background, it's pretty cheap for threads, assuming you can score it at $85 USD (I did).