What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

is there such a thing as a 'good' WiFi extender solution?

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
I would say all that depends on the device, but generally speaking since its wireless, yes you could run in to issues.

Lysrin

I would say all that depends on the device, but generally speaking since its wireless, yes you could run in to issues.

Seemed like an obvious potential issue, but not much mesh setup experience so figured better to ask. I like the Ethernet backhaul idea, especially if the house is already wired.

JD

Staff member
I would think of it more as a hidden radio/SSID, nothing overly special. Bell Fibe's HH3000 does this too for their wireless TV receivers even.

rjbarker

Looking at the size of house.....3 of these?
A pair are working wonders for my house @2000 sq ft (main floor and upstairs) plus the basement and my front/back yards.

Thats what I'm using in my 3 story 4200 sq ft house.....I had crap coverage in various places.....I purchased the 2 node pak and a month later added a single node pak (so 2 nodes + 1 used as Router).
Works great throughout all 3 floors as well as front n back patios (both patios have Smart TV's).
Not cheap though single pak + 2 pak just shy of $1k ...but solid, easy set-up and easy FW updates. All dont from Asus App on my phone (or can be done thru Asus GUI).

EDIT: all set up with dedicated 5 Ghz Wireless Backhaul.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
Yep definitely better to run Cat cables n switch...unfortunately not an option in my house without semi destruction ;)
well...you could always paint the cable the color of your walls or ceiling and then do minimalist runs in the wall / ceiling corner. it might be noticed at first, but likely fall into the background of our mines after seeing it for a bit.

rjbarker

well...you could always paint the cable the color of your walls or ceiling and then do minimalist runs in the wall / ceiling corner. it might be noticed at first, but likely fall into the background of our mines after seeing it for a bit.

HA...could just imagine the look on my wifes face when I start stapling CAT cables to the walls .... ;)

Latest posts