What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Is this a good build?

JMillard

CPU- i5 9400f
GPU- Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB GAMING OC
Motherboard- Gigabyte Z390 GAMING X ATX LGA1151
RAM- G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000
CPU Cooler- Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo (Red) 66.3 CFM
SSD- Samsung 970 Evo Plus 250 GB M.2-2280 NVME
HDD- Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM
Case- Antec Dark Phantom DP501 ATX Mid Tower Case
PSU- Cooler Master MWE Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX

I have the case and PSU so I need to get the build working around that XD. Please any advise or tips? Thank you :)

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
solid...but you'd do better looking at a Ryzen 3600 or 3600X. and I'd consider a slower SSD for more capacity as games are big and 250GB will run out fast. contrary to what manufacturers want you to think, most people never saturate the bandwidth a SATA SSD has, let alone an NVMe that can be up to 5x faster. only time it will be that fast is if you're streaming or encoding. so bigger is better in this case!

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
oh...and you probably would want to look at getting some Ryzen certified DDR4 3200mhz. AMD has a higher bus for added performance. any 3200mhz should work, but there is stuff out there guaranteed and certified to work without issue. Ryzen had some memory growing pains for the first and second generations...mostly hashed out now though :)

also, if you're going to OC, the 212 might help, but the cooler the Ryzen's come with is more than adequate. put it into getting a better motherboard (look at the newer B550's) or GPU.

moocow

Absolutely avoid 9th gen Intel because it's a poor value proposition. If you look at 10th gen i5-10400F, it's $5 CAD more and you get Hyperthreading. Why on Earth would you buy a non Hyperthreaded CPU for essentially the same price? Also, wait for the H boards to come out if you're not buying the K version of the chip. IMO, Intel is just a crappy platform now since everything is locked down in none Z boards and even the memory speed is capped no matter what you set in the BIOS. Go watch Gamers Nexus video on Youtube, he explained it pretty well there.

Or go with Friendly's suggestion and get an AMD R5-3600 with 3200Mhz ram and a B550 board.

clshades

No sense in wasting money on Intel. Definately go Ryzen. One point of advice I didn't take was a bigger m.2 drive. 500GB is almost maxed from one game and a bit of video editing. Games are huge!!!

Bond007

Definitely make some changes.

- Ryzen 3300X, or 3600, if it must be intel then 10600k.

- drop the Samsung 970. Too small and expensive. minimum 480gb.

FreeKnight

I'll echo others and say you should switch the SSD for a larger capacity. If budget is really tight, get a cheap 5400 RPM drive instead of a barracuda. Your HDD shouldn't be used for anything other than old programs and media storage anyway in this day and age so you don't *need* 7200 rpm, unless the cost difference is marginal.

Latest posts