What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Is Windows 7 Obsolete?

mikjames

I'm currently running Windows 10 64, and I haven't yet activated the key for it.
I've also purchased Windows 7 64 for a very good price. I've noticed many compatibility issues with older games on Windows 10, some fixable, some not. Windows 8 has less issues but there are still some that have no known fix.

So my only option to run these games properly is to install Windows 7, but I'm wondering if there is any reason to dual boot Windows 7 and Windows 10? Have companies started to drop driver support for Windows 7 yet, and is there anything related to modern games that I will encounter issues with on Windows 7?

JD

Staff member
Windows 7 does not have DX12 support which games are starting to move towards. Anything from Intel's "Kaby Lake" and AMD's Ryzen also doesn't officially support Windows 7 either.

So yes, I would say Windows 7 is quickly being pushed into retirement.

mikjames

Windows 7 does not have DX12 support which games are starting to move towards. Anything from Intel's "Kaby Lake" and AMD's Ryzen also doesn't officially support Windows 7 either.

So yes, I would say Windows 7 is quickly being pushed into retirement.
Fair enough, sounds like dual boot is the way to go. Has anything actually taken proper advantage of dx12 yet? I seem to remember the big draw was low level hardware access but any benchmarks I've seen indicate similar performance to dx11.

enaberif

Windows 7 is already EOL by Microsoft standards and is already EOL to be pre-installed on new systems.

Also with all the new hardware its just becoming more difficult to run and causes headaches for people.

Dragonstongue

they make on purpose for it to be a headache, ofc they in business to make money, but Win10 could have easily put in what made its user base happy and comfortable instead of being outright douches with its design and implementation, start is back so they say, lol yeh, so is a massive prick of a start menu and an anything but user friendly to find simple things like control panel, my computer file system etc, what used to take 2-4 clicks to do everything required takes much more hunting much more clicking to be lead to often what you do not want.

Then there is the pain in the arse metered connection, not use onedrive to avoid some but not all forced downloads and spying the list goes on, as far as "performance" is concerned is is a wash between win7 and win10, nothing really gained nothing really lost, even though claims are "win 10 is so much faster and uses memory, SSD far better" my feeling is more the fact there is at least some less BS bloatware, though simple things like media player in the box are not there.

Anyways, it is dead from standpoint they are no longer front line supporting it, only critical updates for win7/8, sad thing is they could have easily put in DX12 into win7 even if they wanted to charge an "DX12 enhancement package" that would give folks much more comfortable with Win7 design and gain the possible benefit DX12 brings, but no, they just stupid monkeys it seems :p

Skylake/Ryzen and beyond all require Win10/Linux derivatives to be supported in any way shape or form officially. MSFT wants everyone to be on Win10 so they can make $$$$$$$$$$ from everything you or I do, and tell us how we are supposed to do it and when. I will probably keep a win7 machine long after it is "done" cause I dont have to fk with it, it just works :)

As far as the updates etc, there seems to be just as many BS problems with the "superior" Win10 then there is for older versions(~25% at best in use adoption rate for Win10 vs ~50% for win7 says much, me thinks lions share of that 25% was from the "free" updgrade likely some of those were forced to upgrade via that stupid nagging auto-update crud)

Valkyrie

Chilliwack...Time Is Just A Rubber Band....
I did a little looking around and it seems lots of the big OEM suppliers are offering 7 as a downgraded 10. This can only be because businesses are demanding it. Certain XP builds are still being supported until April 2019. Lots of business users didn't want to switch from XP and many/most that eventually did went to 7. Microsoft has an agenda with 10, but business may not want to play along and there could well be a backlash.

SpaceSquad

Yes it is.

Here's an article about how MS will not support Win7 on new processors: Microsoft to end support for Windows 7 and 8 on new PC hardware - TechRepublic

In fact...Windows 7 end of mainstream support (read: porting/adding new features) was January 13, 2015. End of extended support is January 14, 2020. source

Businesses are indeed demanding it. Some literally just made the move from XP to 7. So I am sure a pay-for extended security patch scheme will be created for Windows 7 similar to XP(and Server 2003). Home users won't get this option - without working around it like the people who tricked the OS into thinking it was Windows XP Point Of Sale or whatever to get updates.

Latest posts

Twitter