What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

isp's in Ontario

On2wheels

Quick update: I accepted the renewed offer from Rogers, 500Mbps. Turned out the new modem wasn't properly enabled by the rogers office, so a second phone call was made (to correct a billing error no less) at which point the phone rep re-enabled the 500Mb plan and now I consistently get well over 500 on a speedtest.net test to the recommended server at any time of day.
Moral of the story: be suspicious of any phone rep when they tell you something is taken care of until you see proof. I'm still feeling uneasy until at least two billing periods show my account is in proper order.

AnnaSokolski

Это снова то время года, мой тарифный план Rogers подлежит продлению, но они предлагают цены, которые уже не такие конкурентоспособные. Кто-нибудь слышал о Telcan или имеет опыт? Мне они кажутся наиболее подходящими. Teksavvy тоже не столь конкурентоспособен, по крайней мере, для новых клиентов, которых я нахожу.
My cousin lives in Canada and he said his provider is Videotron. I live in another country, so that's all I know.

On2wheels

2nd update: my bill came in and sure enough they failed to refund me the setup fee so a 3rd call was made on the weekend to arrange that. On the plus side there was almost no wait time on hold to talk to someone, but now I'm waiting another month to see if this is done properly.
Looking forward to the day I can cancel with them and get that winback phone call.

On2wheels

Well it's almost that time of year again, the email came in saying my plan is ending soon. Giving the Bell rep a chance to offer me something, but not holding breath. At this point I'd settle for an extension of the same plan I have now also not expecting Rogers to offer it either.
Teksavvy: forget it, not even close to competitive for the advertised plans anyway.
Oxio: big speed drop for nearly same price.
Telcan: big speed drop for decent price
Bell: waiting on rep to get back to me.
Videotron: same as Teksavvy.
Start.ca: no service here

ANyone else I forgot?

JD

Staff member
There's basically very few "independents" anymore... so not really? Wholesale rates are bad for the few that remain.

Acanac/Distributel (they are owned by Bell) offer $70 2yr contract for 1Gbps. Might be the least amount of hassle.

gingerbee

So far besides the cost which I am willing to pay Bell has been great since going FTTH I have not had one outage and when the bell guy came to hook it all up he knew what he was talking about and worked for Bell, not someone on contract.

The only thing I dont like is they will reward new customers but not long-time loyal ones, makes little sense unless the goal is to just hope folks dont notice when they put your bill up, hoping you just keep paying it, I have already done the call them to get a better price this year, but I am happy with our speeds, just wish the price was a little better.

On2wheels

So far besides the cost which I am willing to pay Bell has been great since going FTTH I have not had one outage and when the bell guy came to hook it all up he knew what he was talking about and worked for Bell, not someone on contract.

The only thing I dont like is they will reward new customers but not long-time loyal ones, makes little sense unless the goal is to just hope folks dont notice when they put your bill up, hoping you just keep paying it, I have already done the call them to get a better price this year, but I am happy with our speeds, just wish the price was a little better.
Bell rep was here last year so I called him again and surprisingly the rates were decent for 1.5Gbps, it's way more speed than I need however, so it seems like a big waste. We're all trying to cut costs, not spend more.

gingerbee

If you dont need the speed then there is no point, I think a lot of people use way less internet speed than they have, I wasn't sure when I went from 1.5GBPS U/D to 3GBPS U/D cause I thought it may not get used boy was I wrong and for me the price difference was 10 bucks, but it doesn't mean I wish my internet bill was less then the 156 it is lol

On2wheels

If you dont need the speed then there is no point, I think a lot of people use way less internet speed than they have, I wasn't sure when I went from 1.5GBPS U/D to 3GBPS U/D cause I thought it may not get used boy was I wrong and for me the price difference was 10 bucks, but it doesn't mean I wish my internet bill was less then the 156 it is lol
The Bell plan is $6 more a month, and includes television. I absolutely don't need the TV plan, and the 3x more speed is totally wasted on me. Guess I'll see what Rogers says.
Also checked with Costco/Primus and it looks like they don't service my area.

sswilson

Staff member
There's basically very few "independents" anymore... so not really? Wholesale rates are bad for the few that remain.

Acanac/Distributel (they are owned by Bell) offer $70 2yr contract for 1Gbps. Might be the least amount of hassle.

That's the one I remembered from RFD and was going to ask about.....

Latest posts