What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Issues with Intel's Alder Lake Performance slides

Bond007

Another thread started to go a bit off topic, so I am making this one. For anyone not aware, it has been made public that Intel's press release info about Alder lake performance had it consuming more than double the power of AMD, and it was using the Win11 version that had issues with AMD CPUs (unpatched).

That is not to say it won't be good CPUs, but the picture likely isn't going to be as rosy as the press release made it seem.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel...ore-i9-12900K-and-Ryzen-9-5950X.576726.0.html

"Intel allowed the Core i9-12900K to consume 241 W at PL1, with the Ryzen 9 5950X restricted to 105 W, also PL1"
"Additionally, Intel benchmarked the Core i9-12900K and Ryzen 9 5950X using Windows 11 Pro 22000.9, a version known for performance issues with AMD Ryzen processors."
"Ultimately, we would recommend waiting for independent reviews of the Core i9-12900K to arrive rather than relying on Intel's results. "

Last edited:

Lysrin

"Ultimately, we would recommend waiting for independent reviews of the Core i9-12900K to arrive rather than relying on Intel's results. "
Seems like that has to be the posture we take these days with all the tech providers... heck anyone selling anything for that matter!

It's always watch the flashy presentation; yeah whatever...; wait for the real review info.

Lysrin

Wasn't that always the posture? 🤔
I like to think that somewhere in the distant past there were people making products and telling you what they actually were when you planned to buy, without all the smoke and mirrors.

Some people have told me I am delusional by times...

FreeKnight

Anyone who was outright believing the stupid headlines like "Intel’s Comeback is 25% FASTER Than the Ryzen 5950X!" (*cough* boot sequence *cough*) should buy my ocean-front property in Saskatchewan.

It may be 25% faster in a very specific use case or two, or a single program, but it's probably ridiculously cherry picked for that data.

Last edited:

crazyea

Another thread started to go a bit off topic, so I am making this one. For anyone not aware, it has been made public that Intel's press release info about Alder lake performance had it consuming more than double the power of AMD, and it was using the Win11 version that had issues with AMD CPUs (unpatched).

That is not to say it won't be good CPUs, but the picture likely isn't going to be as rosy as the press release made it seem.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel...ore-i9-12900K-and-Ryzen-9-5950X.576726.0.html

"Intel allowed the Core i9-12900K to consume 241 W at PL1, with the Ryzen 9 5950X restricted to 105 W, also PL1"
"Additionally, Intel benchmarked the Core i9-12900K and Ryzen 9 5950X using Windows 11 Pro 22000.9, a version known for performance issues with AMD Ryzen processors."
Like Gamers Nexus said, the issues with the slides and unpatched win 11 is a moot point because they can still gauge the performance relative to 11th gen and extrapolate that to Ryzen 5000 series to get a ballpark figure on performance.

moocow

I think the community itself have matured a bit in terms of content consumption. Thanks to outlets like GN, we are more aware of the BS the mfg are pulling to make their goods look better than the competitor. Don't forget Intel got their pee pee slap by FTC about their performance claims before. At the end of the day, it's quality of journalism in question. Is HWC making click bait title to get more views or they more interested in the content itself and ask questions.

Bond007

I think the community itself have matured a bit in terms of content consumption. Thanks to outlets like GN, we are more aware of the BS the mfg are pulling to make their goods look better than the competitor. Don't forget Intel got their pee pee slap by FTC about their performance claims before. At the end of the day, it's quality of journalism in question. Is HWC making click bait title to get more views or they more interested in the content itself and ask questions.
“HWC” specifically has reasonable content, some of which I really like…”Boot Sequence” is click bait fest. I have tried to watch a couple videos and I can’t get through them. The income is probably good, but it won’t be me on the boot sequence side of things.

crazyea

YouTube is a clickbait paradise. It’s not limited to hwc. I also don’t really care for boot sequence but it’s not that bad really.

draemn

youtube algorithm rewards click through rate above most metrics, so if people don't click on your video, they don't want to waste front page space showing it to people.

Latest posts